For Those of You That Milk Multiples....

Right now we are only milking around 6 goats, but during the summer we milk around 14-16 by hand(parlor is coming soon though) What we do for milking is we milk the doe into a bucket, then when we are done with the doe we strain the milk into a milk tote nearby(the strainer has a lid on it to keep the dirt out) After we are all done milking, we take the milk in and strain it again in the house. After we are done with the second straining, we put the milk into an ice bath for an hour. In the summertime when it is really hot, we'll usually put the tote in a bucket of cold water to keep the milk a bit cooler.

Ideally for the best tasting milk, milking in stainless should be a must, and getting the milk down to at least 35-40 degrees within an hour of leaving the goat will get you the best tasting milk.

To help cool the milk quicker I do not dry off my pail and bottles after washing, I put them straight in the freezer. It gives them a 'frosty beer mug' effect. Don't pick them up with wet hands though!!

Back
Top Bottom