For those of you who reuse egg cartons

Want Less

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Bern, NC
I live in NC where according to the "Egg Law", we are allowed to reuse egg cartons as long as they are clean and correctly labeled. They have to have our name & contact info on them, say "mixed size", # of eggs in the carton, can not contain the word "fresh" (?... my eggs are fresher than those in the stores, but unfortunately they can label theirs as such and I cant... gatta love it), all old info marked out, etc.

I use rubbing alcohol to remove things such as expiration dates, printed commercial logos, egg size, etc that I have to remove or mark through that my labels wont cover up. I printed labels on regular paper that fit the top of the carton (I can fit 3 on a sheet of paper & cut apart), then use white Elmers glue to lightly glue it to the top, then cover it in cheap thin clear packing tape.

192407_1751776988203_1052231516_31906344_1693087_o.jpg

I'd love to hear how you guys "fix" your reused cartons too. Any tips to make the process easier? Pictures of your altered reused cartons?

Also, does anyone know if we have to remove the nutritional info on the inside of the lids? It doesn't specify that in the info I got from our cooperative extension office: (Note: this info is for NC)

Egg Cartons
The Egg Law does not require that eggs be sold in new cartons. Re-used cartons must be "clean, unbroken and free of foreign odor". Any incorrect information on a re-used carton must be marked through.

Carton Label Requirements
The carton label must include the consumer grade, applicable size (based on weight), the word "eggs", the number of eggs, and the name and address of the producer. If eggs are not separated according to size, they should be labeled as "mixed size".

The eggs can only be labeled as "fresh" if they meet the Grade A or AA Standard.

I'm hoping it is OK to leave it in there, since its so big and will be a pain to remove or mark through on all of them.

(BTW we dont sell on a large scale... just to friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc. But want to make sure we're following the rules, especially if we ever start selling at the local farmer's market. We're well under the 30 dozen a week rule so we are exempt from grading and such)​

That looks great! I just made a label out of the address label stickers. I place it to cover uo where it says the name of the grocery store. I give mine away to family and friends.

We mostly use new cartons, but when we use used cartons I just take a a wide Sharpie and line through inapplicable info. I don't try to obliterate it, but make it fairly obvious that it is crossed out. I've seen some locally produced eggs in used cartons at some of the natural food stores and many just line through old info and apply apply a small, mailing type label with their info on it. It's not necessarily pretty, but it works.

In my area we have an unspoken rule. We will give anyone a dozen eggs. Just bein friendly! But you must return 2 cartons of any size.
idunno.gif

We bought some of the blank recycled fiber cartons from eggcartons.com and printed our own labels on address labels. If a carton is returned, we credit the buyer for the return of the carton. For example, if a dozen eggs is $3.00, the first dozen they buy will be $3.00. If they bring me back the clean carton, the next dozen is $2.50.

Quote:
The USDA considers freshness to be determined by their grading system. You can sell Grade A or better eggs as "Fresh Eggs", but not ungraded eggs.

You can grade them if you wish and sell them as such. If you take out any eggs with thin or poor shells you are pretty much going to be left with Grade A or better eggs. You could candle them to be sure (and inspectors may want to see your candling/grading process, if you are inspected) , but for the most part, if they are freshly laid, you'd be hard pressed to find any that don't make grade.

Back
Top Bottom