For those who raise meat birds! (Finished Paper Pg. 4)

Alright, finished my paper! Here it is if anybody wants to give it a read:

Let My Chickens GO…

To small farms and ranches that is! I am not opposed to animals being used for food sources whether that is in meat or eggs. What I do oppose though, are big name companies in it strictly for the dollar signs. The keeping of laying hens and meat birds has changed drastically in the last 80 years, since the 1920’s. Factory Farming began in the 1920’s, soon after it was discovered that adding Vitamins A and D to the feed resulted in the animals no longer requiring sunlight and exercise for growth or production. This gave people the ability to raise broilers or layers in an indoor warehouse situation. Animal abuse aside, I believe by reading this paper you will see my point of view.

The great idea behind factory farming is to save money while boosting production and sales. When you have a large number of animals, especially ones as messy as poultry, illness and disease is bound to run rampant. This was controlled around the 1940’s when factory farm animals were given mass doses of antibiotics in order to fend off, or prevent the spread of illness. One thing I have learned while raising animals, and dealing with children is; antibiotics are NOT wonderful sudden healing gifts from God. In many cases, when overused, antibiotics are the very reason for building up immunity to the very thing you are using to help you, the antibiotics. They can also teach a virus how to beat them, therefore making a stronger more resistant virus. Yet, here they are, used at any whim of a sniffle or sneeze in mass production industries. The animals are also given hormones and a variety of other chemicals thought to increase production. If you will notice, when there is some sort of disease outbreak, it is national news. Not only that, but it is a national SCARE. How many small farms have you heard of getting shut down due to illness?

I know quite a few people who raise both laying hens and broilers in simple family farm scenarios. I asked some of them a few questions, one of which being if anybody had lost a flock of birds to illness or disease. This was excluding deaths considered normal for broilers such as heart attack, bad legs, and other weight related issues. Two out of seven people responded with having lost birds to illness, but as they explained it became clear it was of their own accidents. Both of these people took fault for the situation, and the only people affected were the owners, and those who bought from them. If you think about it, a small farm is lucky to sell 100 processed chickens a month, usually much less. If there was a outbreak of something, the entire nation would not be affected. It would be 100 people, rather then thousands. In an ideal world this would never happen, but we must be realistic. I am not saying small farms are perfect, but I am saying we have taken a step backwards and into the big mess called factory farming.

Small family run farms have much better numbers then the big factory farms when it comes to health and wellness of both the bird and finished product. Many of the family ranchers I know who raise their own broilers and laying hens always comment of the richness in taste and texture of farm raised animals and their products. You really cannot get any fresher. Eggs from battery hen houses lose so much good vitamins and minerals in transport, and did you know you shouldn’t wash an egg very vigorously? Washing the egg removes a protective film from them and reduces their shelf life. According to many places including but not limited to http://www.motherearthnews.com, who did a study on store bought eggs/factory farm eggs vs small farm eggs (fresh), the fresh farm eggs were richer in vitamin A, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E and has 1/3 less cholesterol and ¼ less saturated fat. Farm fresh eggs are overall a healthier choice then factory farm eggs.

If the US went back to small time farming I think that would create more jobs as well. Most of the work done in large factories, whether animal based or otherwise, is done by machines. One of the biggest reasons family farms and ranches fall through is competition from the large industrial producers. Some small farms can be successful today because of new markets for specialized farm products such as sod, ornamental plants, Christmas trees, flowers, bulbs, shrubbery, and fruits and vegetables grown in greenhouses. These new age farmers must know current technology and have some business experience due to dealing with income and costs. A lot of times, managers of larger farms have employees who help with the farm work like ranch hands and such.

Information gathered from sites:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/
http://www.campsilos.org/mod4/students/lifea.shtml
http://www.idausa.org/facts/factoryfarmfacts.html
http://greenopolis.com/goblog/joe-laur/salmonella-free-range-eggs-vs-factory-farm
http://greenopolis.com/goblog/joe-laur/salmonella-free-range-eggs-vs-factory-farm

Last edited:
Please read , understand and include USDA , OSHA rules and regulations before you hand in your paper.

Quote:
Why is that? This is just an opinion pursuasive based paper. It is a "what if" scenerio and was not supposed to be longer then two pages and I had trouble keeping it at that.

Katy: I go to CRC, Consumnes River College in Sacramento. It's a junior college but the only one that offers agriculture classes.

I know it is generally frowned upon to point out grammatical errors that appear in internet posts, but where this is a college paper it is perhaps different. You used "then" when you should have used "than" a couple of times, at least one verb tense is wrong, and you used a semicolon incorrectly.

You make it sound like hormones are used in commercial chicken operations. I don't think this is true, but I could be wrong. Or, maybe you were referring to the use of hormones in other animals meaning to scare people who would infer they were also used in chickens.

Good for you! I'm glad you were able to find a school that meets your needs! I believe MJC still offers ag classes as well. Are you aspiring towards Davis or Stanislaus State? I started at MJC but then left my ag roots behind and finished at SD state. My sister went to Freson though, they have such a great ag program, and of course so does Chico.
I think your paper was really good for a JC level course.

TimG, no problem! I actually had it proof read before I turned it in and realized about the "then-than" situation. I have NO clue why I have such a hard time with that!

Also, my paper is Factory Farm VS Small Farm regarding ANY sort of livestock. I focused personal experience of my own and others around chickens because that is what I have hands on experience with.
smile.png
The horomones and antibiotic mentions are in regards to any livestock in factory farm situations including but not limited to: swine, cattle (both dairy and beef), poultry, ect.

Katy (flock mistress), http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/hormones/ http://www.hfa.org/factory/index.html (to quote the HFA "It is all done in the name of increasing profits. Animals in factory farms are confined in cages and crates to save on space and limit the number of workers required. The animals are given antibiotics, hormones, and highly concentrated feed to accelerate growth and weight gain.") Also, 40% of antibiotics in the US are given to livestock in factory farms according to a study done at UC Davis, was told this by the Ag. instructor. One more quote
smile.png
"A University of Iowa study last year, found a new strain of MRSA -- in nearly three-quarters of hogs (70 percent), and nearly two-thirds of the workers (64 percent) -- on several farms in Iowa and Western Illinois. All of them use antibiotics, routinely. On antibiotic-free farms no MRSA was found. "

KatyTheChickenLady, thanks! I enjoy these classes very much. Is MJC Modesto Junior College? I am aiming for an AA/BS in Buisness and an AS in Animal Science. I am hoping to co-own an animal hospital with a DVM and I would handle the managment and buisness side of things. I am actually taking this Introduction To Agriculture class for personal growth and enjoyment. The only livestock I own at this time are laying hens, but when I am able I would love to own cattle and swine. Thanks for the tips! I am not sure what I will do after I finish the 2 year program, but I am keeping my options open
smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry, but I don't put much stock in "animal welfare" groups' facts. If most of them had their way no one would be allowed to own or eat any farm animal no matter how it's raised. If they ever have their way with CAOs the individuals and small time farmers will be next on their list. I also have a problem with using "facts' from an individual's blog. A person can state anything they want as fact on their personal blog.

Katy, I am not sure what sort of vendetta you feel toward me but it seems every response you give me is snippy and very "look downish". I have done nothing to you, so why do you feel the need to even respond to my posts? Obviously I am much more ignorant, or 'stupid', then you. I am sorry, who is taking the Ag Buisness class? Oh right, I am.

I posted numerous University studies such as Idaho and UC Davis to name a few, and I can find more if you really need to be convinced. It worries me that you seem blissfully unaware of horomones in factory farm meat though, there has been plenty said about it from people other then "animal activists" I sure hate to waste my time doing a search like that for somebody like you though.. Just please, do us both a favor and restrain yourself from exposure to my ignorance and do not even read my posts. Thanks.

To the rest, thank you so much for your help. Most of it was very useful and insightful. I enjoyed reading the personal experience. I am sorry this thread has turned sour.

Back
Top Bottom