FOREVER LONG BROODY MAMA

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickynparadise, Jun 2, 2016.

1. chickynparadise

chickynparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Sumter, SC
    My girl I call Big Mama has been broody going on almost 2 weeks. I cage her so she cannot warm her bum for 3 days as I always have, release her, she seems normal but next day is still broody. I have caged her going on 4X now. Not sure what to do! Tonight when I released her she went directly to the nesting boxes and sat down. She is eating good and acting normal otherwise. Ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep her caged away from her nest site for a longer period of time - weeks not days.

3. csaylorchickens

csaylorchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2015
    California
    My Coop
    Yes i had one recent she was relentless. It was crazy. I keept her in solid 7 days. I normally let them out to dust and mingle for a but everyday but noooooo. If i did she immidiately ran for the coop, even tried to trick me that little booger! I also dunked her in water every morning, it helped too because it was 90 or higher anyway and i thought maybe the temp being higher wasnt helping?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    3 days is pretty much the minimum time to break a broody. It may have worked fine for her in the past, but she's clearly telling you her hormones are stronger now. Give her a week in there and see what happens.

5. chickynparadise

chickynparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2014
    Sumter, SC
    Thank you! It kills me just to leave her in the cage just for a day :( but I will try this. It's hot here now and very humid, I keep the cage 3/4 shaded but I worry she needs to get out and be a normal chicken. The life of a chicken momma LOL

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by