FOREVER LONG BROODY MAMA

chickynparadise

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 6, 2014
Sumter, SC
My girl I call Big Mama has been broody going on almost 2 weeks. I cage her so she cannot warm her bum for 3 days as I always have, release her, she seems normal but next day is still broody. I have caged her going on 4X now. Not sure what to do! Tonight when I released her she went directly to the nesting boxes and sat down. She is eating good and acting normal otherwise. Ideas?

Yes i had one recent she was relentless. It was crazy. I keept her in solid 7 days. I normally let them out to dust and mingle for a but everyday but noooooo. If i did she immidiately ran for the coop, even tried to trick me that little booger! I also dunked her in water every morning, it helped too because it was 90 or higher anyway and i thought maybe the temp being higher wasnt helping?

3 days is pretty much the minimum time to break a broody. It may have worked fine for her in the past, but she's clearly telling you her hormones are stronger now. Give her a week in there and see what happens.

Thank you! It kills me just to leave her in the cage just for a day :( but I will try this. It's hot here now and very humid, I keep the cage 3/4 shaded but I worry she needs to get out and be a normal chicken. The life of a chicken momma LOL

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom