foul smelling light stool

castrbl

Chirping
Sep 4, 2018
Roseboro, NC
my hen is healthy, happy, and full of energy. but the past 24 hours her poo has been nasty. its on the normal poo chart and she has had poo like this before but it typically is caused by something she ate and it goes away after a while but it hasnt. its light colored and is half solid half not. sticky i guess?? her diet is fine, shes on a whole grain organic feed, eats grass and insects, and has little snacks sometimes. im thinking it could be linked to an apple she ate ? she typically has nasty poo after eating an fruit but i would have thought itd pass by now. she doesnt have grit because she never needed it since her diet was so good but due to this im thinking its time to get some. kind words only please! any rude comments will be ignored. (i can provide pictures if needed)

Last edited:
Sounds like you're describing a cecal poo (so-named because it comes from the bird's caecum). I've seen color variations ranging from a sulfur-looking yellow to a dark brown. They all have one thing in common--they STINK! Second only to a broody poo, which is more like a giant stink bomb. But, they're normal. In fact, they're usually indicators that the digestive system is running up to par. So I'd say nothing to worry about, especially if she's acting fine.

Sounds like you're describing a cecal poo (so-named because it comes from the bird's caecum). I've seen color variations ranging from a sulfur-looking yellow to a dark brown. They all have one thing in common--they STINK! Second only to a broody poo, which is more like a giant stink bomb. But, they're normal. In fact, they're usually indicators that the digestive system is running up to par. So I'd say nothing to worry about, especially if she's acting fine.
thank you! <3

do you know how long its supposed to last? because its been 2 days

my hen is healthy, happy, and full of energy. but the past 24 hours her poo has been nasty. its on the normal poo chart and she has had poo like this before but it typically is caused by something she ate and it goes away after a while but it hasnt. its light colored and is half solid half not. sticky i guess?? her diet is fine, shes on a whole grain organic feed, eats grass and insects, and has little snacks sometimes. im thinking it could be linked to an apple she ate ? she typically has nasty poo after eating an fruit but i would have thought itd pass by now. she doesnt have grit because she never needed it since her diet was so good but due to this im thinking its time to get some. kind words only please! any rude comments will be ignored. (i can provide pictures if needed)
Whole grain = fat chicken
They pick out the junk food and leave the rest.
Whole grain requires grit to be processed.

Don't feed apples to your bird; they are not supposed to eat them.

Grit isn't about whether the diet is 'good', it is about being able to break down all foods for digestion. Birds use grit to break down their feed so they can digest it. How much does she weigh?

As far as insects go, I would feed BSF larvae, as they are much healthier than mealworms.

Whole grain = fat chicken
They pick out the junk food and leave the rest.
Whole grain requires grit to be processed.

Don't feed apples to your bird; they are not supposed to eat them.

Grit isn't about whether the diet is 'good', it is about being able to break down all foods for digestion. Birds use grit to break down their feed so they can digest it. How much does she weigh?
by holding her my guess is around 2-3 lbs
i dont have a scale

Cecal poop is an occasional thing (like once every 10 poops), not a "lasting 2 days" thing, so this isn't cecal.

Whole grain feed without grit or access to grit isn't ideal, it's like asking someone to chew food without teeth.
would grit fix the issue?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom