faymine

Chirping
Jan 14, 2021
Found a hurt undomesticated pigeon underneath a car. It's left leg is broken/splayed.

The nearest wildlife rehabilitation center already has 300 pigeons in care -- for this pigeon to be accepted, I'll have to issue a $100 donation. Splint surgery at an animal hospital is also costly. I would like to know if there are any alternatives.

I provided it wild bird seed mixed with quail feed, and a bowl of water mixed with few drops of poultry nutri-drench.
But it only eats small amounts. It's poop is green and watery. Every 30 minutes to 1 hour I manually wipe the poop away from it's vent.

I have a feeling it will not make it. I don't know what more to do, so any help is appreciated. Poor baby. 😢

Found a hurt undomesticated pigeon underneath a car. It's left leg is broken/splayed.

The nearest wildlife rehabilitation center already has 300 pigeons in care -- for this pigeon to be accepted, I'll have to issue a $100 donation. Splint surgery at an animal hospital is also costly. I would like to know if there are any alternatives.

I provided it wild bird seed mixed with quail feed, and a bowl of water mixed with few drops of poultry nutri-drench.
But it only eats small amounts. It's poop is green and watery. Every 30 minutes to 1 hour I manually wipe the poop away from it's vent.

I have a feeling it will not make it. I don't know what more to do, so any help is appreciated. Poor baby. 😢
Poor birdy. You can find instructions online on how to splint the leg. Just Google - how to splint a bird's leg..

A pigeon can live with a splayed leg. It just needs a comfortable cage with bedding or even sand. In fact, sand can be used as grit, at least beach sand can. Grit is very important for pigeons to have. A cage with a shelf, such as the type found in ferret cages, would give the bird a place to sit under or jump up on, since it probably won't ever be able to perch on tree branches. Also, Kaytee Supreme Parakeet seed works well with a captive pigeon who dislikes normal bird seed or pigeon seed with peas and such. That's all mine wants and she lays eggs all the time and has for years. A plant growing bulb in a Woods clamp lamp can provide needed light, too.

Last edited:
Hello, I apologize for no response.

As school began for me on August 9th, my dad chose to nurture the pigeon back to health instead. We took your Kaytee bird seed advice and Gabby (the pigeon) loved it.

She also enjoyed having a sand bath nearby, although, more to use as a litter box.

Over time, she grew stronger, and her leg began to heal. Despite her limp, she is able to stand up and walk around with ease.

She attempted to 'escape' the house while no one had been watching, by clawing onto window rims and flapping her wings vigorously. That's when we decided to let her go. This was on August 28th / 29th.

Gabby survived! :)

Yes, sounded like she wanted out. Pigeons often just need time to heal, and if they can't walk again, they can be happy with a captive life. They are pretty domesticated birds with interesting pigeonalities. Glad to hear the update and you stuck with her. 🙂

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom