Found a puppy! Help me with the breed!

RebeccaLauren

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 31, 2014

Soooo even though I told myself no more dogs I kind of had to get this one. Rescued him on the side of the road, couldn't find his owners but he was extremely lethargic full of worms and flea infested when I got him. Luckily I work at a clinic and was able to take him in as an "emergency" on a closed day. He's now estimated to be 12 weeks and free of fleas and worms. His name is Diesel.

Now, I posted here because I really wanna know what he's mixed with. Catahoula stands out like a red thumb, but anything else? Everyone at the clinic is telling me he's full blooded. He had a white shoe string tied around his neck when i found him... From my understanding that IS how a lot of breeders mark their puppies. Different colored ribbons (shoe string in this case) but how odd would that be? To find a full blooded puppy running loose. Especially this young!!! He's got so many Catahoula traits it's crazy.

First picture is the day I found him, last was taken about an hour ago.. gimme thoughts!!

Last edited:
I don't see anything else leaping out. Just looks like a Catahoula puppy to me. Sometimes stuff happens, even to breeders. A friend had an entire litter of Chihuahua puppies show up on her farm (they got loose from a house several miles away!).

Really cute puppy! Glad it found a good home. I just hate seeing strays (we found and rehomed a little Staffie mix last month).

It looks almost certainly like an Australian Shepherd mix due to the gray with black spots, and silver eyes. It may have some Beagle in it, or something similar/mixed, causing the short hair. Be prepared for a high energy pup because of the Aussie genes. My Aussie-X-Beagle was a constant heel nipper, which I later learned was a powerful herding instinct (they need lots of exercise).

Last edited:
What an adorable puppy! Good you found him! Don't be shocked that he could be a purebred there are too many irresponsible breeders. I have a purebred Labrador from one! I love my rescue girl, she is the best dog I've ever had!

@HighStreetCoop

I hate it too. Working where I do is awful because people think dropping animals off at a clinic means a happy ending. Its constant. Not to mention the neighborhood I currently live in constantly has people dropping animals off. Can't save them all but I can't just leave a puppy that small on the side of the road. Was going to rehome him once he was well, but he was sick and I spent the first two weeks up all night every night taking care of him and I got attached haha.

@Toddrick I was thinking of the Blue Leopard coloration, but I've had a couple people tell me aussie as well. No similarities in coat or shape though other than the color and his eyes. High energy, definitely. He's extremely smart though!

Last edited:
@only1bgirl Thankyou! I've gotten a lab puppy from a breeder before, and I loved her with all my heart.. but there's definitely a different kind of attachment with my rescued babies.

Last edited:
@HighStreetCoop

I hate it too. Working where I do is awful because people constantly think dropping animals off at a clinic means a happy ending. Its constant. Not to mention the neighborhood I currently live in constantly has people dropping animals off. Can't save them all but I can't just leave a puppy that small on the side of the road. Was going to rehome him once he was well, but he was sick and I spent the first two weeks up all night every night taking care of him and I got attached haha.

@Toddrick I was thinking of the Blue Leopard coloration, but I've had a couple people tell me aussie as well. No similarities in coat or shape though other than the color and his eyes. High energy, definitely. He's extremely smart though!

I've never heard of a Blue Leopard, but it sure does look exactly like these, right down to the eyes, ears and strong legs:

http://www.catahoula-leopard.de/images/Blue_Girls.jpg

The reason I said "almost certainly" some Aussie, is because there aren't a log of gray dogs with black patterns like that. I wonder if the BL has any Aussie in its bloodline...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom