Found dead hen in coop

lilbirdee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
Ridgefield, WA
I found my 9 month old Light Brahma dead on the floor of the coop this evening. I had noticed that she was not quite herself the last few days.
Any guesses?

It might help if you provide more details. How was she behaving? What symptoms did you notice? Did you notice anything about her dead body? Was she thin? Things like that. Basically any details you can provide will help diagnose what she might have had. Sorry for your loss, and I hope someone on here can help you figure out what killed her.
hugs.gif

She had just been sorta sitting around by herself. Kinda sad like. It's been cold so I just thought that was the problem.
She didn't seem thin at all. I can't see any other obvious signs. She was just curled up in a ball by the nesting boxes.
Everyone else seems okay. Except that I think they are upset about her dying. I normally get 5-7 eggs a day and today there were only 2.

I had a 1-yr-old drop dead one night last summer. Was laying fine, eating fine, acting fine...went out to close up the coop and she was dead. I did a mini-autopsy and found what I think was an impacted crop. This wasn't long after I started my flock (started w/adults) so I was very new to chickens and didn't know what to think. That's all I found when I cut her open, though.

There have been less eggs lately so she may have stopped laying. She's about 9 months old.
One of my prettiest girls. Her name was Lotus. Sniff.

Oh my poor girl. I feel awful that I might have been able to make her better. This was my first sick looking hen and I really didn't know that it was serious. So when I noticed that she was acting different, how could I have know that she was egg bound?

Back
Top Bottom