Found Goose - No Idea What To Do

creiser

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2022
Hello,

About a month ago this beautiful goose happened upon our property. We have a pond and some land and I think he/she felt comfortable here. I work from home and spend time with Goose throughout the day. He/She was very scared of me at first but has since become calm. I can pet him/her and I think she/he enjoys the company (and I enjoy hers/his!)

However, I am afraid she is quite lonely and I would have no idea what to do when winter comes. Can someone help me with the following?
  1. I don't even know what breed or gender Goose is.
  2. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can find Goose a new, suitable home?
Goose Friend 1.JPG
Goose Friend 2.JPG

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Cristina

I’m not 100% sure but I think it’s a SHE, but she’s 100% a Buff goose.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help! (@Goosebaby @iturnknobs @Miss Lydia @SmiYa0126 @Iain Utah)

I live in the farmland of NJ (near PA). We have several acres of land - lots of grass, some wooded areas, and a big old pond she likes to hang around. She spends much of her time munching on grass, and I feed her whole oats for snacks.

My initial plan was to find a new family for her, preferably one with other similar animals (but not to eat her!). I will check out the NJ and PA forums, as @Miss Lydia suggested, and see if there is a good match.

If we can’t find something, we will get a goose buddy and build a shelter for them. We are thinking of a floating goose house in the middle of the pond.

Cristina

How's your goose doing? Did you decide to keep her?
She is great! I am happy to say I just found a friend for her (on right in photo below)! I brought the new goose home and they seem to be hitting it off really well - just following each other around. I am in love. Goose house in the making. For now, they just swim in the middle of the pond at night for protection.

Thanks to everyone for your words of wisdom and encouraging me to keep original Goose.

Now I just need to come up with some actual names for them!

A6D2281F-093B-4433-B674-00F5CCCFD36E.jpeg

I put my geese away every night, just like @Goosebaby suggests. We're on a schedule that they comply with willingly due to food/treat rewards. I really hope you keep that bird. You've really got a special one if you can pet it. My special bird is no longer with me due to gander on gander fighting. Have someone help you vent sex it or do a DNA test and get it a mate. My birds are the cutest pair and they really need another to "watch out" when preening, eating and sleeping. I wish you the best of luck and will look for updates.

@creiser did you mean finding a way to have a house for your goose friend or a new home with a new family?
If you'll share your state there is a state forum here on BYC and you can go and share pictures and ask if anyone is interested.
It's at "Where am I where are you"
She is gorgeous, so sad when they are dumped thank goodness you like her.

Thanks to everyone for all of your help! (@Goosebaby @iturnknobs @Miss Lydia @SmiYa0126 @Iain Utah)

I live in the farmland of NJ (near PA). We have several acres of land - lots of grass, some wooded areas, and a big old pond she likes to hang around. She spends much of her time munching on grass, and I feed her whole oats for snacks.

My initial plan was to find a new family for her, preferably one with other similar animals (but not to eat her!). I will check out the NJ and PA forums, as @Miss Lydia suggested, and see if there is a good match.

If we can’t find something, we will get a goose buddy and build a shelter for them. We are thinking of a floating goose house in the middle of the pond.

Cristina
From what I know ducks love those floating houses, I have no idea if geese do. Most geese have difficulty wanting to go into a shelter that isnt a bush, so I wouldn’t have high hopes of them using the floating house.

Usually they have to be herded into a cage at night for their own well-being.

Back
Top Bottom