Found Homing Pigeon

Peahen19

Hatching
Jul 3, 2019
Hello,

We believe a Homing Pigeon has landed at our wild bird seed and water bowl. He/she will not rest its left leg/foot on the ground. You mention checking for a band but how does one get close enough for the bird to trust us to check the injury to the leg or the band?

The bird is attracted to the wild bird seed and drinking water - but the leg seems to be bothering him/her.

The bird is able to fly -

Also, how to make a temporary loft for safety - is there a chance it will use a new owl barn box if placed correctly?

Thank you for any help or advice.

Hello,

We believe a Homing Pigeon has landed at our wild bird seed and water bowl. He/she will not rest its left leg/foot on the ground. You mention checking for a band but how does one get close enough for the bird to trust us to check the injury to the leg or the band?

The bird is attracted to the wild bird seed and drinking water - but the leg seems to be bothering him/her.

The bird is able to fly -

Also, how to make a temporary loft for safety - is there a chance it will use a new owl barn box if placed correctly?

Thank you for any help or advice.
Do you have a photo? Where are you located? The best thing to do is capture the pigeon, at night, with a trap, by hand, with a net, in a garage, etc. And then write down its band info.

If the band has AU ARPU 49016 2017 the ARPU stand for American racing pigeon union. This is the website you will go to, punch in the band information, and find the owner.

If the band is NPA 2020 7 595 the NPA stands for National Pigeon Association. You would go to their website, and I believe you have to contact club secratary to get the owners name and number.

This is an article I wrote: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/found-a-lost-pigeon-heres-what-to-do.1387573/

I put in a lot of time and effort into this. It is more in depth and can lead you in the right direction. I hope this helps.

Are you by chance in TN?
hi and welcome to BYC! did you read this? Found a lost pigeon? Heres what to do thats about all i know, @backyard pigeons
cool link @cooingdove ;)

Back
Top Bottom