Found injured chicken

Rseay97

Chirping
Apr 16, 2018
Some how a chicken ended up in our yard and my dog got a hold of it, no neighbors are taking ownership at the moment. It seems like the poor things eyeball is hanging out but I’m not sure what I’m looking at. Our fence is 5ft and I have no idea how it ended up here and no where to take it. Any advice? Will it pull through or should we put it down.

Some how a chicken ended up in our yard and my dog got a hold of it, no neighbors are taking ownership at the moment. It seems like the poor things eyeball is hanging out but I’m not sure what I’m looking at. Our fence is 5ft and I have no idea how it ended up here and no where to take it. Any advice? Will it pull through or should we put it down.
From how you described the injury, I would put it down, but it's totally your choice (You should ask around first, to see if the owner could take her back).
Please post pictures.

Make the chicken as comfortable as possible, offer her food and water. Can she stand up? Is she moving around? Is she lifting her head?

Sometimes chickens can jump over VERY tall fences. You'd be surprised. So, it's possible. Do you know of anyone in your area that has chickens? Do more than one neighbor have chickens? Try asking around with a picture of the chicken, maybe someone might recognize her.

From how you described the injury, I would put it down, but it's totally your choice (You should ask around first, to see if the owner could take her back).
Please post pictures.

Make the chicken as comfortable as possible, offer her food and water. Can she stand up? Is she moving around? Is she lifting her head?

Sometimes chickens can jump over VERY tall fences. You'd be surprised. So, it's possible. Do you know of anyone in your area that has chickens? Do more than one neighbor have chickens? Try asking around with a picture of the chicken, maybe someone might recognize her.
It’s in a box with water, it’s just been sitting there. Asked the 4 neighbors around me that I know, also posted on our local lost and found page. Will give till tomorrow if it’s still alive and maybe see if shelter will take it.

Will give till tomorrow if it’s still alive
In the meantime, clean the wounds with a warm cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide (NOT on the eyes, if the eyes are the only wounded area. Only on the wounds on the body), or if you can run to a farm store, you can grab some Poultry Wound Spray.
Offer her/him water with a few drops of apple cider vinegar.

Pictures would definitely help. It's easy to attach them.

The poor thing ❤️ Hoping for a fast recovery and that the owner owns up to her/him!

We need pictures. @Wyorp Rock @Fluffy Lambs @azygous @Eggcessive At the moment I would give Nutri-Drench or sugar water. We really don't know what we are dealing with until we see pictures. Also, is she eating and drinking? Is it a she or he?
I have goat nutri drench is that the same? We aren’t equipped to deal with chickens, we had ducks years ago and that’s the only experience I have with birds. Also not sure if it’s a male or female.

Attachments

• BF29A25D-0978-40EE-9411-72CCD6591F19.jpeg
    BF29A25D-0978-40EE-9411-72CCD6591F19.jpeg
    522.1 KB · Views: 4
I have goat nutri drench is that the same? We aren’t equipped to deal with chickens, we had ducks years ago and that’s the only experience I have with birds. Also not sure if it’s a male or female.
Is the eye injury the only wounded area on her entire body? Check her body everywhere, under the feathers, and the feet and neck. Is she walking around and moving okay? Is her other eye fine?

In the meantime, clean the wounds with a warm cloth soaked in hydrogen peroxide (NOT on the eyes, if the eyes are the only wounded area. Only on the wounds on the body), or if you can run to a farm store, you can grab some Poultry Wound Spray.
Offer her/him water with a few drops of apple cider vinegar.

Pictures would definitely help. It's easy to attach them.

The poor thing ❤️ Hoping for a fast recovery and that the owner owns up to her/him!
I did clean it up with warm water earlier, will do so again now, i can probably get something from farm store in the morning if owners aren’t found.

Is the eye injury the only wounded area on her entire body? Check her body everywhere, under the feathers, and the feet and neck. Is she walking around and moving okay? Is her other eye fine?
Other eye is fine, don’t see any other wounds, I’m scared to put it back down on the ground cause I’m not sure if I’ll be able to catch it again and if I can’t catch it my dog will probably get it again unless it makes its way back out of my fence.

Back
Top Bottom