Found injured chicken

I'm not really sure. Others will chime in but I have not been raising chickens for 2 years yet. I have already incubated chicks. :oops: I can offer basic advice but not much past that. I know mash is better for chicks and sick chickens. Tuna will probably be good. I personally have never fed it to my chickens. There are people who have raised chickens for 20+ years on here.

Poor thing!
Good suggestions from every one.

She's in shock, so the Nutri-Drench or a little sugar water can help. You want her hydrated first then offer something to eat. Not sure what you have on hand... Scrambled egg, a little cooked soupy oatmeal or cornmeal should be ok to give for a day or two.

For the eye, use saline to clean it. You can make your own by boiling 2 cups of water, add 1 tsp of salt. Boiling for 15 minutes will make it sterile. Let cool. Use this to clean her eye well and rinse it out. Pat dry, then you can apply triple antibiotic ointment to the eye and surrounding tissue.

If she can overcome shock, the eye doesn't get infected and she has no other severe injuries, then she should be able to adapt with just one eye.

Do the best you can. Maybe her humans will see your postings. If not, it looks like you have a chicken for a day or two at least:)
Keep us posted.

Somebody said to try tuna also, should I offer the mash after or at the same time?
You can mix the tuna and chicken feed together, or you can offer them separately. Up to you. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that she's getting something to eat, hopefully something high in protein.

You can mix the tuna and chicken feed together, or you can offer them separately. Up to you. It doesn't really matter. What matters is that she's getting something to eat, hopefully something high in protein.
I just have her some tuna, she’s up and walking around in the box and making noises this morning. Will check her eye out and clean it here shortly after I get my son fed. Plan to go by tractor supply to grab ointment and some feed until we can figure out what to do since no owners are stepping up. Any recommendations on feed or any other medication?

If it were me, I'd get a small bag of chick starter or all flock feed for her to eat.
If the feed store has it and budget allows, Terramycin eye ointment would be good to get. Otherwise, generic triple antibiotic ointment will work just fine on the wound.

Hoping the eye doesn't get infected and all goes well:)

I just have her some tuna, she’s up and walking around in the box and making noises this morning. Will check her eye out and clean it here shortly after I get my son fed. Plan to go by tractor supply to grab ointment and some feed until we can figure out what to do since no owners are stepping up. Any recommendations on feed or any other medication?
As mentioned above, a small bag of chick starter would be good.

So happy she's doing well! You're doing a great job!

Back
Top Bottom