Found out today I have Type 2 Diabetes

herbsherbsflowers

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Covington, GA
Well, I only have myself to blame. I knew I was a perfect candidate, overweight, over 50, but as they say denial is not just a river in Egypt. Now I have to face the music and start eating right and exercising and get this stuff under control. I guess I felt like I needed to say something about it publicly so that I can't just keep denying the situation. My husband is out of town for work. So thank you for being there and listening and giving me the opportunity to start dealing with this.

you and thousands of others, not that it makes it any easier. Think of it as an opportunity, if that helps. I know many that have lived to a ripe old age with DMII

It runs on both sides of my family. I've always known it. Plus I had gestational diabetes. So I exercise moderately and kinda sorta watch what I eat. I don't let myself slide as bad as I could, though. I know I will be where you are someday.

I was a little fortunate, though. As I watched Grandma eat dried prunes with cream cheese as "dessert" when I was a kid, I decided then and there I would exercise every day of my life if that's what it took to keep chocolate in my diet. So far, so good.

IF you take the exercise & diet seriously, herbsherbsflowers, you can avoid many of the complications that come with diabetes. And you have the side effect of feeling better than ever once you are committed to being more careful. Think of this as a wake-up call.

My parents both now have diabetes so late in life and it would be more likely I will follow the same path...even we dont eat much sugar or candies.

Here is some info you might find handy.

http://www.examiner.com/x-798-Denver-LowCarb-Examiner~y2009m1d9-Low-carb-best-for-diabetics
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071126162554.htm
http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060616/do-low-carb-diets-help-diabetes?src=rss_foxnews

The whole reason I am on a low carbohydrate diet is because of my family history of type 2 diabetes and having my dad and 4 friends all get that dx. I knew with my high blood pressure, excess weight, and other symptoms I was next. I have lost 42 lbs, cured my hypertension, and am keeping the other symptoms at bay. I have keep the weight off for over a year and lost it rather quickly. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited:
I have type 2 diabetes as well. It is overwhelming at first. But you will come through this and after a while it becomes second nature. You can eat out almost anywhere.
I was sent to a class at my local hospital and my insurance paid for it and also a glucose monitor. The dietition is trained and has special training to be a diabetic teacher. Your Dr. can refer you to your closest one and it really is helpful. You can go back ever so many years and keep updated. Some people will look at you weird because you still eat carb. foods. What they don't know is that your body requires a certain amt of these. I really eat a wide range of foods and occ. if my meal is low in carbs. a bit of something sweet and special. Its mostly about amounts. You can even go to some chain rest. and ask for a calorie guide to their foods. Most have them and they list carbs as well. Good luck jean

My parents both now have diabetes so late in life and it would be more likely I will follow the same path...even we dont eat much sugar or candies.

That's because you can be eating a high sugar diet and not know it. Carbohydrates, regardless of the source, turn to sugar once you digest them. For every 50g or carbohydrates you eat it is like eating 1/4 cup of table sugar.

So, even if you avoid candy and sodas, a couple of slices of bread, some pasta and a plate of rice every day is like scarfing an entire cup of sugar.​

What is low carb diet??? No bread, crackers, pastas and pizza??!!!!

Might just go on Atkins diet.....I love pizzas but can do without bread for sandwiches. Not sure what Atkins diet consists of or what the schedule and what to eat and not to eat list of things.......

Hard to do this with the food pantry diet.

Ewe, Atkins is one low carb diet. I followed Barry Groves Natural Health and Weight Loss. It is very similar, but no restrictive horrible induction period
big_smile.png

When my guys have pizza, I make myself Cup-O-Pizza
big_smile.png

You brown 1 lb of sausage and put equal portions in the bottom of 4 large mugs. Then you add to each cup "no sugar added" pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce, mushrooms, onions, and shredded mozzarella cheese. Top with some crisped pepperoni. Microwave until cheese is melted and VOILA! CUP-O-PIZZA!

Back
Top Bottom