Found out what's wrong with my sick EE

bawkbawkbawk

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Coastal Southern California
I posted here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=530128 a few days ago.

EE was moving slowly, if at all, definitely not herself.

Dropped her at the vet on Saturday, they were double-booked and closed at noon so they kept her on IV nutrients over the weekend. I fully expected she would die but she came home this afternoon with a diagnosis of Internal Laying and Egg Yolk Peritonitis. If you're interested in the treatment, I posted about it here:

http://polloplayer.wordpress.com/20...nd-clucking-but-dont-read-this-before-eating/

Just the little bit of Googling I've done in the past two days suggests that many think there is a genetic problem with hatchery birds that makes them susceptible to these conditions. Is there any way to find out if this is true? Does anyone do research on hatchery birds vs. breeder stock?

I asked about it through my friend who picked my bird up and she said the vet was incredulous at the idea. Said they don't do hysterectomies. But I know I've seen it mentioned here or somewhere.

The vet is going to call me tomorrow so I will have more info then.

I have a bantam D'Uccle that is not quite a year old and has layed 3 or 4 very soft shelled eggs. The eggs felt like a rubber balloon. I checked her today and her vent is red and swollen like she is trying to lay an egg but it won't come out. Could she be having the same problem as your hen?

She absolutely could be and you'd be doing her a big favor to catch it before she has an infection. Look at my blog post for more details. My EE's first symptom was laying what are called "wind eggs"' small shell-less, yolk-less eggs. That started more than a month ago and I read that they were harmless so I didn't think anything of it. Wrong move!

I've definitely read about successful hen-hysterectomies, but the injections sound like a great alternative. I wonder if limiting her daylight hours would help too? It would stop a healthy hen from laying...

I am so glad she is much better and expected to recover. I have fallen in love with your Autumn. She is such a cute carpenter chicken! Maybe she could start classes and train other young chicks in carpentry skills...

Back
Top Bottom