Fowl Arrangement Question (Ducks+Geese)

Best Setup?

• Total voters

Shaycres

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
All right, so before the weather drops TOO much more, I absolutely need to get a better home built for my ducks and geese. However, I'm somewhat hesitant because I'm not sure how I want them homed. For some context:
5 drakes, have been on the ranch at least 7+ years
8 hens, raised over this summer
2 geese; one is four years old and the other was raised with the hens this summer
As of right now they all go into the same corn crib at night with a small lean to. The 2 geese and 8 hens are usually together and get along well. They don't really fight, but the 5 drakes prefer to not associate with the hens/geese.

I'm trying to decide how to do this, and I have three ideas:
-one coop inside one corn crib (very secure 200ft2 enclosure) and just keep all 15 birds in it
-two coops in two separate cribs; one houses 2 geese + 8 hens and the other houses the 5 drakes
-two coops in two separate cribs; one houses 2 geese and the other houses 5 drakes + 8 hens

What would likely be the best way to go about this? All advice is appreciated.

I personally would keep those drake separately. You have too many for the hens anyways. You probably won't see troubles until early spring when hormones start to surge. Are you planning on keeping all the drakes?

I personally would keep those drake separately. You have too many for the hens anyways. You probably won't see troubles until early spring when hormones start to surge. Are you planning on keeping all the drakes?

Yes - I intend to keep the drakes around. That may also be the most efficient use of coop space, too. Thanks a bunch!

If the geese and chickens get along well,keep them together...

It sounds like the drakes prefer to be segregated.... so I would keep them segregated.
Should have clarified, haha, I'm referring to duck hens, my bad. I have drawn up plans though and that's how I have it set up, drakes together and then the ducks+geese :)

Back
Top Bottom