Fowl Behavior or What's My Rooster Doing?

ldel4567

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 13, 2012
Hi folks,
I have a rooster that has this habit of going into the coop by himself as if "casing the joint". I am not sure what he is doing or what he is looking for. All the chicks are out in the yard. He goes in, usually to the back corner or wall , clucks around, scrapes around a little and listens. Sometimes, he will sit down and listen to or for something ( vermin?snakes?). The last time I saw strange behavior from the birds, was just before an earthquake, we had last year. Well, I am not aware of any recent shock, but I guess that doesn't mean the rooster or the hens can't sense something.
I just don't know. This behavior occurs only when he is alone in the coop.

If someone actually knows what he's doing, please reply. Thanks!

He's trying to entice his gals to come to him. He's showing them here is a good place to eat/nest/lay eggs.

Stan is always 'finding' morsels for his girls. As you can see sometimes nothing is there.

Sometimes he does have something to cluck about and is willing to share

Sometimes he hogs the morsel all to himself

Which earns him a severe clucking by Askew

Here he is calling and displaying his food to attract the girls.

He gets his morsel a-twirling to impress his girls even more.

He's learned, that in this flock, if you don't provide you don't ride.

You sleep alone at night.

"Gets his morsel a-twirling".........

:lau

I love your play-by-play. I think I've seen Stan displayed in a few other spots? He always provides a laugh, enhanced by his owner's captions. Thanks!

Yeah, the hubby claims Stan the Man is the world's most photographed rooster. I'm surprised he hasn't put his eye out swinging his twig.

Then he gets to strutting his stuff.

And gets them wattles a wavin'!

He's Stan the Man!

While he's not breeding quality, he's worth keeping simply for the entertainment.

HAAAA! I love Stan! What a hoot and holler!!!

-and to address the question about the rooster hanging out in the coop, here's what my little bit of a banty guy does: Every evening when I go to scoop the coops, and all of the chickens are still out roaming about, my little cockerel (16/17 weeks old) comes strutting over. The minute that I unlatch the coop for my three standard hens, he hops up onto the perch and will roost or sometimes even go into a nesting box and hang out for a bit. It's hilarious! He looks as if he's hiding, just waiting for the hens to come in to roost. Finally, when he's determined that he is solo in his endeavor (and nobody is interested in accompanying him), he hops down and joins the flock. -too funny!! -and he, too, began chirping for his girls to show them food or a good scratching place. I gave them some cut up grapes a few afternoons ago, and he would either step back so they could eat first, or take them and drop them in front of the ladies. Sweet.

Stan loves seducing his gals with bits of food

Never hurts to furl the wattles at the girls

And finish the show with a crow!

Back
Top Bottom