Fowl Crop possibly lingering?

Luvmylars

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2022
Sorry this is a little long, but I'm a bit wordy and don't know how to stop. Also, I want to provide as much information as I can to aid in any assistance I might receive from those who respond to this post. Thank you in advance!
My barred rock hen has lived in our smallish garden bathtub for most of her life. At first there were chicks of different breeds living there together. At about 2 months, give or take, they all lived in an outdoor coop for about 3 weeks. She has lived in the the tub again ever since. She'll be about a year old in October, and weighs around 5-6 pounds.
Her bedding is fine pine shavings. I use deep layering. About two months ago, it was all taken out, the tub cleaned, rinsed thoroughly, and new shavings were put in.
Her food and water are in the same containers she and the other chickens used as chicks, and are cleaned regularly with only very hot water.
Until the recent bedding change, "Mrs. Bok-bok" was laying eggs generally every other day, and occasionally every day for a few days in a row. Almost immediately after the bedding change, she developed black spots on her beak, and then another on one of her feet. She stopped laying eggs, and stopped squawking like she usually does when she's going to lay an egg (she and I "talk" several times a day). A few days, maybe a week later, she had a few scabs on her comb. I found out it was fowl pox, that it would heal on its own, and that it might be beneficial to give her iodine and ACV. So, she's been getting a couple drops of iodine and a teaspoon of ACV every few days in her water (which is when it is cleaned out and refilled).
The only way she could have gotten it, since she doesn't go outside, we almost never get mosquitos in the house, and anyway she lives in the back of the house, was from my husband; let me explain. The chicks Mrs. Bok-bok grew up with that made it are 3 roosters who live together in a coop outside. My husband exclusively takes care of them. On occasion, he will afterward pay attention to Mrs. Bok-bok without having yet washed his hands. They've all had fowl pox, too, and keep passing it to each other again.
The strange thing is, my husband hasn't done that since I figured out what had happened. Also, Mrs. Bok-bok recovered for a few days, and even laid a few eggs. Now, though, she's got those black spots on her beak and foot again. She hasn't gotten any more scabs, and she still isn't laying eggs or squawking. This has been going on for maybe 3 weeks.
Any idea what's going on? Or what I can do to help her?
Thank you for taking the time to read this and for any help you can offer!

It seems like you're doing a good job treating the fowlpox, but I'm kind of confused about the hen's living situation. Is she an indoor hen? Does she stay in the tub all day, or does she have a run/outside area to be out in?

Fowl pox can also be spread through poop, so if your roosters are still infected, its probably safer if you have a change of clothes (or at least shoes) that you can wear around her.

It seems like you're doing a good job treating the fowlpox, but I'm kind of confused about the hen's living situation. Is she an indoor hen? Does she stay in the tub all day, or does she have a run/outside area to be out in?

Fowl pox can also be spread through poop, so if your roosters are still infected, its probably safer if you have a change of clothes (or at least shoes) that you can wear around her.

Thank you. I just don't understand why it's sticking around, why Mrs. Bok-bok hasn't developed any more scabs, and why she isn't laying eggs.
Mrs. Bok-bok is an indoor hen, yes. It was supposed to be a very temporary situation, but has become not-so-temporary. My hard-working husband just hasn't had the time to finish building the ladies' side of our adult chicken coop (and she is the only one we have atm). She does get out and walk around in our room often, but not outside... Yet! I'm really hoping she'll have a proper setup outside VERY SOON!
As far as transferring chicken poop from the boys, we don't wear shoes in the house. Also, my honey hasn't been in contact with our dear little hen after he tends to the boys since this all started. And I don't tend to her after he's done that, either.

The chicks Mrs. Bok-bok grew up with that made it are 3 roosters who live together in a coop outside. My husband exclusively takes care of them. On occasion, he will afterward pay attention to Mrs. Bok-bok without having yet washed his hands. They've all had fowl pox, too, and keep passing it to each other again.
The strange thing is, my husband hasn't done that since I figured out what had happened. Also, Mrs. Bok-bok recovered for a few days, and even laid a few eggs. Now, though, she's got those black spots on her beak and foot again.
Please post some photos of her, her beak, foot, etc. the scabs?
You mention the roosters have Fowl Pox and keep passing it around - please get some photos of their scabs, etc. too.

It would be great if you can get finished up and get her outside. Do you have plans for the 3 roosters?
Plans to get more hens?

I'd get her outside daily, if nothing else into a run every day, then she can be brought inside for nighttime security.

Does she have any lesions inside her beak? Is her crop emptying overnight?

IMG_20220705_180817801_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220705_180812670.jpg
IMG_20220705_180732668.jpg
IMG_20220705_180718366_MP.jpg
The black streaks on her feet are normal, but the spots are not. I don't think she'd tolerate me opening up her beak to look inside. I don't know how to tell if she's emptied her crop, but she's been eating and drinking the same and soiling her bedding the same. She doesn't make any sounds of distress (she has in the past when she's going to lay an egg; she gets very squawky!). One large spot on her beak is starting to fade, you can see, but she's got new little ones on the other side.
I've not gotten any pictures of the boys yet... They're tough to catch. ;)

Last edited:
The spots on her foot could be where she's picked at herself. Her feet and scales look a bit dry, I'd rub a thin layer of vaseline or oil into the feet and legs. Give her nails a little trim since they are getting long. Sometimes they can get long if they only have soft dirt to dig in too, but since she's not outside, she's likely not scratching about to keep them in shape.
Give her beak a little file as well, it looks like it's overgrowing some, again, birds usually hone their beaks outside on rocks, etc. to keep them in shape.

I'm not seeing anything unusual about the coloring of her beak, the horn coloring matches the legs which would be expected.

She is quite pale, she would benefit being outside to get some fresh air, sunshine and being on ground so she can dust bath, etc. Chickens need sunlight to help absorb vitamin D3.

Even a daytime enclosure for her would be good. I know it's difficult times for a lot of us right now, but if there's a way to get her out and about I think you'd see some improvement.

https://www.ceva.vn/en/Technical-Informations/Poultry/Disease-Informations/Fowl-Pox-FP
1657248814251.png

Back
Top Bottom