Fowl Extravaganza

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by konopswj, Sep 18, 2011.

1. konopswj

konopswj Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    What kinds of fowl does everyone successfully keep in with their peafowl? I’ve heard pheasant is ok, what about quail or guineas? Has anyone tried it? Are there types of pheasant, quail or guineas that specifically don’t play well with others?

I’ve already heard that chickens are a bad idea because of diseases they can carry.

Thanks,
    Walter

2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I have heard that it is ok to keep certain breeds of pheasants with them. I dont know about quail with adult peacocks. I kept my peachicks with my Coturnix quail chicks for 3-4weeks. The peachicks pecked their feathers off so I seperated them.

3. Pavo Royale

Pavo Royale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    I have done well with red goldens, cotornix and bobwhites. Valleys and ringnecks not so good.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Chicken,guineas,and pheasant all can be carriers of blackhead.

5. Arbor

Arbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    Canada
    I've had luck with Swinhoe, goldens and amherst, but not with Silvers - male nearly killed one of my white hens years back.

6. konopswj

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    Quote:I had thought about a Golden and an Amherst. This gives me hope that I can.

7. konopswj

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    Quote:Can you treat for blackhead like you do for worms to make sure they aren't carrying anymore?

8. konopswj

Jan 7, 2011
    Coopers Plains, NY
    Quote:They are all neat looking birds and as I don't want a lot of any one, I'd like to have a few of each. I've heard ringnecks are not a good type to mix. Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by