Fowl Pox or maybe just a spider bite?

dridge11

Songster
7 Years
Apr 5, 2015
Saw these bumps on her wattle the two days ago...Fowl Pox is the closest thing I've come up with from searching around, but they don't look quite the same as what I've seen online. They seemed to be bumps, sort of "popped" and are seemingly going back to normal. Being in sets of two like this, I was wondering if maybe it was a spider bite?

The comb stuff is just general clumsiness, she doesn't have the best eyesight.

Attachments

• IMG_5246.JPG
    IMG_5246.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 28
Greetings dridge11,

Yes, the lesions do look like fowl pox. This can spread to other chickens. Recovery is usually 2-4 weeks.The chicken's eyes, say she doesn't feel very well. I would give her some poultry vitamins. Also, a bit of extra protein would give her some needed strength, and boost the immune system. Cooked eggs, meat, fish or even some tofu would be helpful. Fruits and vegies/greens are good too.

The virus will have to run it's course. But, do keep an eye on the lesions, I would also apply some antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever), to them, just to prevent skin infection. Or, you can dab them coconut oil, which has anti-viral properties. Secondary infection can also occur during this time as the immune system is challenged. Some keepers will add an antibiotic to the water, but I just add some Echinacea tea to the water, to boost the immune system.

While it is possible for a spider to bite, a person or even a chicken, only a few have life threatening venom. The Black Widow and the Brown Recluse are the most common. When a non-venomous spider bites, they can penetrate the skin, and then bacteria that was on the surface of the skin, enter, causing infection or just inflammation. Most likely, a spider would end up as a snack for the chicken.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope they are helpful.
Other members will give advice, please consider these too.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Looks like pox to me, too. My whole flock got the dry form this summer. Mosquitos were especially bad. Gave antibiotics in their water and probiotics in their food, and eventually they all healed. Best to catch it early to lessen the chance of wet form setting in.

Appreciate the feedback...she hasn't really shown any decreased energy, she's still eating like mad, laying eggs, and not a lot of mosquitos here in NorCal. But, best to take preventative measures.

Back
Top Bottom