Fox trouble

jayjay

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 11, 2012
Essex, UK
Hi,

I have recently dug a trench all round my ducks and chicken coops and laid wire down and out to fox proof them. The foxes have now scratched through my pollytunnel [just recently recovered] and are hanging around even more. I have heard that male urine is a good deterent but today was told that male hair is excellent. Has anyone tried this? Please let me know if you have had any good results. I am saving all the hair i can now to try it.

Thanks
Jay

The only thing I can tell you is male hair may atract a female fox

I have fox problems myself and have ben trying to use have-a-heart traps with no luck
I have also ben reading traping books their are several available hear
The Library of Congress : Free Books : Free Texts : Download & Streaming : Internet Archive

Thanks for the advice and link i will have a look. Thing is they are in school grounds and i am not sure if trapping will be allowed, rules and regulations of a school. I will have to check this out to see if this is an option to us. There are quite a few around. We have chickens in 2 areas around the school grounds and one lot have unfortunately been taken by a fox already. Luckily my lot are quite safe. Why the fox would want to get into a pollytunnel i have no idea, there is nothing there for them.

Thanks again and i will check out what i can do.
Jay

Are you growing vedgi's in the tunnel foxes will eat almost anything

I don't think a school will have a problem with a have-a-heart trap but I would ask anyway

GOOD LUCK

Male Dog urine might work as a deterent. Fox dens are normally underground and sometimes they eat the previous resident of the hole ie rabbits, ground squirrels and take it over. Here they will move in to old woodchuck (woodchucks are mean so, I don't think most fox mess with them). Your new tunnel may have looked like a nice place to have kits/pups. Fox can be carriers of mange and rabies and can be protective of their den if, they have kits/pups so, I would think they wouldn't want them around a school.

Last edited:
I have foxes but no fox problem. My dog (intact male in very good health) urinates for sure but best activity he has is actually running fox of when it visits. Fox smells my dogs urine but still probes. Coyotes on other hand smell dog urine and move away. Dog also chases coyotes and and they interact as if same species. The fox does not likely consider dog same species so does not respect territory boundaries, therefore dog has to continually drive probing fox of. Dog lives for chasing fox and chickens benefit greatly from arrangement, especially when their alarms bring dog running to look for fox.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I am so far getting male hair to try and think i will take my dog to school and see if his urine works as well. I have also bought some fox repellent, though not sure how effective these products are. Because of the children i have to be careful what i put down. Unfortunately i will not be allowed an electric fence for the same reason. Never give up though.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am so far getting male hair to try and think i will take my dog to school and see if his urine works as well. I have also bought some fox repellent, though not sure how effective these products are. Because of the children i have to be careful what i put down. Unfortunately i will not be allowed an electric fence for the same reason. Never give up though.

Small children can survive an electric fence just fine. I did. Care will have to be made to indicate what is actually likely to shock them. Siblings and I got shocked many times. It is not pleasant but it will not ruin your day either.

Back
Top Bottom