Framing with screws or nails???

kickinchicken

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Rhode Island
So, for those of you who KNOW what you are doing...
tongue.png

I am making an 8x8 slanted roof coop. The front will be 8 ft and slope to 6 ft in the back with a 12 inch over hang on the front and back. I already framed up the front wall (8ft high) but got to thinking....should I have used screws or nails for this framing? I REALLY hate 3 inch screws because they ALWAYS strip half way thru. I practically have to drill a pilot hole for every screw...this would take FOREVER!!!
I was planning on building the 4 sides with nails, THEN screwing the 4 panels together. Thoughts?

Quote:
See my BYC page for pics, your coop design sounds similar to mine------I used nails throughout and it has stood for over 15 years.

Nails are fine.

Try to screw on the roof and wall sheathing if you want more strength plus you can use shorter screws which are easier to work with.

What I liked best were particle board screws. They seem to be extremely hard to strip. That is a good thing because I really don't know what I'm doing yet.

i used screw for mine and i built mine just like your except is it 6x8 roof. I put stud about every 1.5 feet so the roofing could be strong and screw work great for that. the only nail that i used for my coop is shingles. everything else i used screws. I think screw are a lot strong than nail but that is just my opinion.

OK, so as far as strength and durability, I think nails will be fine. I will use screws for the roof, as suggested as well as any sheathing...in case I need to add or remove insulation or if there is rot or pests.
tongue.gif

I have looked and looked at those coop design pages for MONTHS and finally decided on the slanted roof. I would have NO IDEA
hu.gif
how to do one of those a-frame roofs....it would TOTALLY not line up
tongue.png

I am taking pics as I go along and will update my page for those of you who LOVE the "in-process" pictures....I know I do.
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom