Free feeding?

dulcimer lady

Songster
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
I have a half dozen 7 week old chickens. Am I supposed to be free feeding them? That's what I've been doing. But I went out and their outside food dish - which is a baking pan - was filled *full* this morning and now just after 1:00 it's all but empty. What is confusing me is I could have sworn I have read in different places where people's chickens ate so much they weren't able to stand up anymore?

So free feeding - yes or no?

The chickens that people sometimes limit food for to avoid health problems, when they are growing, are the Cornish cross hybrids, raised for meat. Their appetites, weight gain and behaviors are not like normal chickens. They've been bred for many decades to eat as much as possible, put as much weight on as fast as possible and then be butchered as soon as possible. They can sometimes have leg problems or die of heart problems. I free feed all other types of chickens.

1657.gif
Hmm, are they scratching it out or spilling it onto the ground? Mine do that, and it gets all spread out. Other birds can eat it to if they have access --- juncos, sparrows, magpies, whatever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom