Free feeding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, May 24, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    I have a half dozen 7 week old chickens. Am I supposed to be free feeding them? That's what I've been doing. But I went out and their outside food dish - which is a baking pan - was filled *full* this morning and now just after 1:00 it's all but empty. What is confusing me is I could have sworn I have read in different places where people's chickens ate so much they weren't able to stand up anymore?

So free feeding - yes or no?

2. sune42

sune42 Songster

Mar 13, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    I free feed my chicks. Is it possible that something else is eating it? IDK, my chicks eat a ton more than I think they would.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Crowing

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The chickens that people sometimes limit food for to avoid health problems, when they are growing, are the Cornish cross hybrids, raised for meat. Their appetites, weight gain and behaviors are not like normal chickens. They've been bred for many decades to eat as much as possible, put as much weight on as fast as possible and then be butchered as soon as possible. They can sometimes have leg problems or die of heart problems. I free feed all other types of chickens.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I free feed mine..

5. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I wasn't free feeding mine at first...after I noticed they weren't growing as fast as my MIL (I split an order with her) , she does free feed....I changed that....

6. foxflower

foxflower Songster

Mar 9, 2010
    Surprise Valley, CA
    [​IMG] Hmm, are they scratching it out or spilling it onto the ground? Mine do that, and it gets all spread out. Other birds can eat it to if they have access --- juncos, sparrows, magpies, whatever.

Last edited: May 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by