Free hen- PLEASE READ THE ABOUT PART FIRST THOUGH!!!!

heather112588

Songster
9 Years
Nov 12, 2010
Baltimore, MD
About 4 days ago, my father had responded to an ad on craiglist for a free old english banty hen and rooster. When we picked them up, they were in aweful shape (the previous owner had them living in crates in a basement their whole lives- they have never been outside or around other birds, they are 5 months old). That being said, we were trying to nurse them back to health (their feet are badly deformed and they were missing feathers, etc).
They weren't even introduced to my standard flock yet but were in a side coop. On the 3rd day (yesterday), the banty roo attacked the hen badly (see pic below) and scalped her. He was put into soup last night. I am writing for her sake (we named her cadence). I cleaned up her wounds with anti bacterial cream but have nowhere to put her (I only have 2 coops- one for the large guys and one for the 4 weeks olds...they were staying with the 4 week olds as it was). Her wounds have scabed over and she is doing well (i gave her some vitamens and she is eating and drinking well). She will start to lay anyday now too. I'd love to trade her for something (even a chick) but i know that it's probably asking alot. I only give her away because i worry that even after her wound heals that she will be beat up by my large standard flock. She is very friendly .... I just need to find someone who has the time to care for her properly or possibly has a banty flock where she wouldn't be beat on as much.

71701_4444.jpg

yesterday after he scalped her

71701_img00219-20110410-1105.jpg

Today doing much better

If I were close enough, I'd take her in a heartbeat. BTW, she will probably heal fine. They are amazing healers... Blessings on you for giving her a chance at a better life.

POOR girlie!!! Have you thought of just making her a house chicken or maybe trying to find her a small girlie friend? My seramas live in the house and are quite content in doing so. They go outside when the weather is good in a tractor coop we made and then they are in at night. I don't think they would prefer any other way of life. We have taken in rescues of all sizes from horses to kittens and everything in between. 90% of the time my house is a working rehab. She might like an inside life and you might like having her inside. I commend you for wanting what's best for her ~ but she might have already found it in you!!
wink.png

i wish i wasnt so far either, id take her and she could be with my banty cochins, my hen and roo are the sweetest birds ive ever known. im 7 hours away
sad.png
day trip to meet?! lol

Where are you in Maryland? I'm just over the border into Virginia off 81. I have a bantam that got beat up by my full size hens, and she has a coop to herself. I always feel bad that she is alone, and I'm sure she'd love a friend if you aren't too far away. I do have to say that I'm not too familiar with Old English, but I have cochins, silkies, EEs and a couple unidentified Standards. Let me know where you are, maybe we can works something out!!!

love-my-wolves seems to have the ideal set up for your poor girl.
That said -- although I am new to chickens and have no special skill or training, I will volunteer my home for that poor bald bantam if nothing else can be done.

**Obviously, this is a pretty empty offer since love-my-wolves has already spoken up, but I would feel badly if I had not said my own piece.

love-my-wolves, may your home and coops be places of peace and joy. Your kindness is touching and appreciated (appreciated by a random, overly emotional crazy person in Pennsylvania, but I'm sure you have saner admirers, too!)
wink.png

Last edited:
Sadly the house situation would not work with 4 tomcats and a spunky dog. I wish it could keep her as she is very sweet but alas i work from 8-6pm and so far have only had mornings and late evenings to help her and let her out of her crate. She has been living in a large dog crate but longs for company, everytime i walk away from the crate, she crys (i know she's just a chicken as everyone tells me but i feel extremly bad for her and all she's been through). I want her to scab over before i give her away (i don't pass on problems). To loves wolves, I live in baltimore, md but would be willing to meet 1/2 way if it meant she'd go to a good home. just a forewarning, as said before, she is not used to anything outdoor or slightly "chickeny"- i have been working with her on that. If your serious, PM me, i could probably travel this saturday.

Back
Top Bottom