Free Mystery Chick!?!

Wubba

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
Northwest Indiana
Reposting this question here...new day-old chicks, hatched yesterday, arrived today...7 in total: 2 Buff Orpington, 2 Ameraucana, 2 Australorp, plus one free chick...the only one that doesn't have a "twin", so I'm thinking it may be an entirely different breed than the others? It's the dark one on the far left...
If there is anything to that whole "wing sexing" thing (if it applies to this breed) than it appears to be a girl. Any guesses?

Attachments

• 20230510_110918.jpg
    20230510_110918.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230510_102117.jpg
    20230510_102117.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 16
Any guesses?
Pattern looks spot on for blue or black laced red Wyandotte or some variety there of!

Are you able to verify comb type?

Edited to add.. unless the Ameraucana were sold under a specific variety type they are likely EE (Easter Egger) with those chipmunk stripes.. sometimes sold as "amerIcana" or some other misspelling thereof usually meant to represent the breed but not "for show". Still perfectly fun birds!

Last edited:
Pattern looks spot on for blue or black laced red Wyandotte or some variety there of!

Edited to add.. unless the Ameraucana were sold under a specific variety type they are likely EE (Easter Egger) with those chipmunk stripes.. sometimes sold as "amerIcana" or some other misspelling thereof usually meant to represent the breed but not "for show". Still perfectly fun birds!
I just found a pic that looked like my chick! I think it's a Golden Wyandotte!
Here's a better pic of the face...

Attachments

• 20230510_203733.jpg
    20230510_203733.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 16

I got them from Mcmurray... listed as the "Ameraucana"... are Mcmurray's actually EE's?

I got them from Mcmurray... listed as the "Ameraucana"... are Mcmurray's actually EE's?
Well I tried to copy & paste the description.. but if you read it.. they say

"our Ameraucana are sold as a mixed flock only"

So they're trying to claim they're the real deal but stated they DON'T breed to the standard of perfection for any specific color variety"..

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ameraucanas.html

To me it's almost more shady than the others that clearly say meant to represent the breed but not for show.

Ask any breeder or passionate (semi- educated/experienced) poultry enthusiast.. like myself. (as well as most long term BYCer's). and we will say EE and never ever refer to them as true Ameraucana. Also the American Poultry Association would NOT recognize them as Ameraucana and they would be DQ'ed from show for feather pattern alone. This is not my assessment or thought when discussing project colors that folks hope to have admitted to the APA some day.

The hen seen in their pic when you open the link above is very typical of chipmunk stripe chicks.

As previously stated though.. I do love EE and think they're a fantastic almost required addition to any flock.

The closest accepted Ameraucana chick color that would produce chipmunk striped chicks and only one I know of (currently) is Silver.. I *believe* it's called partridge in some breeds (Welsummer) and maybe like brown in Leghorn. (IIRC)

Here is a link that describes some of the differences seen..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/

Many hatcheries are carrying true Ameraucana in several varieties these days (if it becomes important to you).. most commonly black/blue/splash and Lavender. One even has Wheaten Olive Eggers.. so maybe they're also offering wheaten Ameraucana.

Just for conversation and information's sake.. the black copper of Marans is known as brown red in Ameraucana. It can be confusing (for me) trying to keep them all straight but it's fun to practice.

I was trying to debate which color I was seeing on my screen regarding your Wyandotte.. should be gorgeous! :love

While many folks say they only and purposely send roosters as the extra.. I have always gotten extras in line with what I ordered.. iow, female orders got another pullet added. Hopefully yours is to, and I think it should be!

Wyandottes are slow feathering and not feather sex-able referencing your first post, see following link for easy to follow explanation..

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/what-is-feather-sexing-separating-fact-from-myth/

Note, although I asked about comb type and Wyandotte should have rose combs.. because of how genetics works (straight comb being recessive), some hatchery Wyandottes are sporting straight combs these days (& can hatch from visibly rose combed parents). I used to think they were keeping starlight combs on purpose due to reported alleged reduced fertility (sperm motility) after several generations of breeding rose combs.. but the whole dominant recessive comb trait thing makes a ton more sense after some breeding adventures and very basic genetic stuff. I am very novice relative to what there is still to know and make mistakes too often so please always verify. :)

Last edited:
I just found a pic that looked like my chick! I think it's a Golden Wyandotte!
Here's a better pic of the face...
Definitely golden wyandotte. If comb pinks early, it's VERY common in wyandottes. Watch for wattles/comb growing in size for roo/pullet differences.

Well I tried to copy & paste the description.. but if you read it.. they say

"our Ameraucana are sold as a mixed flock only"

So they're trying to claim they're the real deal but stated they DON'T breed to the standard of perfection for any specific color variety"..

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/ameraucanas.html

To me it's almost more shady than the others that clearly say meant to represent the breed but not for show.

Ask any breeder or passionate (semi- educated/experienced) poultry person.. like myself. (as well as most long term BYCer's). and we will say EE and never ever refer to them as true Ameraucana. Also the American Poultry Association would NOT recognize them as Ameraucana and they would be DQ'ed from show for feather pattern alone. This is not my assessment or thought when discussing project colors that folks hope to have admitted to the APA some day.

The hen seen in their pic when you open the link above is very typical of chipmunk stripe chicks.

As previously stated though.. I do love EE and think they're a fantastic almost required addition to any flock.

The closest accepted Ameraucana chick color that would produce chipmunk striped chicks and only one I know of (currently) is Silver.. I *believe* it's called partridge in some breeds (Welsummer) and maybe like brown in Leghorn. (IIRC)

Here is a link that describes some of the differences seen..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana/

Many hatcheries are carrying true Ameraucana in several varieties these days (if it becomes important to you).. most commonly black/blue/splash and Lavender. One even has Wheaten Olive Eggers.. so maybe they're also offering wheaten Ameraucana.

Just for conversation and information's sake.. the black copper of Marans is known as brown red in Ameraucana. It can be confusing (for me) trying to keep them all straight but it's fun to practice.

I was trying to debate which color I was seeing on my screen regarding your Wyandotte.. should be gorgeous! :love

While many folks say they only and purposely send roosters as the extra.. I have always gotten extras in line with what I ordered.. iow, female orders got another pullet added. Hopefully yours is to, and I think it should be!

Wyandottes are slow feathering and not feather sex-able referencing your first post, see following link for easy to follow explanation..

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/what-is-feather-sexing-separating-fact-from-myth/

Note, although I asked about comb type and Wyandotte should have rose combs.. because of how genetics works (straight comb being recessive), some hatchery Wyandottes are sporting straight combs these days (& can hatch from visibly rose combed parents). I used to think they were keeping starlight combs on purpose due to reported alleged reduced fertility (sperm motility) after several generations of breeding rose combs.. but the whole dominant recessive comb trait thing makes a ton more sense after some breeding adventures and very basic genetic stuff. I am very novice relative to what there is still to know and make mistakes too often so please always verify. :)
Thank you for this reply...I appreciate all this info! As far as the "Ameraucana" thing...although I'm totally new to the whole chicken world (learning fast, lol) I did notice that bizarre explanation on their website. I assumed that meant exactly what you are saying. Although I did get a pullorum certificate from them, just in case I ever wanted to show any of them in the future (it was only a buck). I didn't think that scenario would apply to these two specific birds. I bought these two for fun egg color and winter tolerance. If I hadn't seen these, I would've gone straight for buying EE's instead. So, no disappointment here, but the knowledge is great and could serve me well into the future.
The feather sexing... thank you! I had read about it and read something that told me that only certain breeds could be sexed this way, but could not remember which ones and wasn't sure if it applied here? I was thrilled that my freebie turned out to be a Wyandotte; I love them! ❤️ Wooo!
Don't worry, if anything you said isn't the epitome of scholarly knowledge, I'll give you a pass! Lol. Thank you for the links!

Back
Top Bottom