free treats for the gals

artsyrobin

Artful Wings
15 Years
Mar 1, 2009
Muskogee OK
my flock used to free range, but after a bunch of losses this last few months that has changed to an hour or so in the morning and at dusk- i did discover- sounds gross, but they love those hanging fly catcher bottles- they will stand and pick the flies off...ewwww...but it keeps them busy.... my BA Tick stood there watching those flies, pecked at the outside a bit and figured out how to get them... smart little girl...and now they all do it

warning- gross pics.....
th.gif

100_5607.jpg

100_5609.jpg

100_5606.jpg

This is gross! Watching lovely chickens doing something like that is just plain weird.

i know! what a shock when i first saw them fight over a frog= they seem so innocent- but really, hi protein snacks... as gross as it is.... and with the cost of feed nowdays, every little bit helps!
smile.png

yuck!! I wouldn't be able to kiss their little beaks after that! We got 2 turkeys years back and the biggest benefit (they ended up being nasty to us) is that we haven't lost a single chicken since they arrived! Guess they have good eyesight and would make noise at any low flying bird (hawk or not). They've well earned their keep! If you can have turkeys, maybe give them a try?? Mine were adult toms when we got them.

I toss mouse carcasses into the yard when they have been caught and killed in the RatZapper traps. No poisons at all, the units electrocute the mice. The chickens fight over the mice... full on chases and everything.

Back
Top Bottom