Cull? Found mass under roost bar this morning

WARosie

Chirping
Aug 6, 2020
Warning, gross photo.

Background:
My big Marans was doing the crop dance back in June, so I treated her for impacted crop. It only went down so far and a mass wouldn’t go away. So then I started thinking maybe she has a tumor. After 2.5 or 3 weeks in a crate I put her back into the chicken house and let her do her thing over time. I had her isolated a bunch so she wasn’t free ranging with the others but eventually let her just do her thing if these were going to be her last days.

This morning I heard the egg song. I went out because the troubled Marans has started egg eating in the flock (only 3 birds) 🙄. She was in the coop and an egg with no shell was in the nest box (she hasn’t laid in a month or two). I also found a large mass under the roost bar, photos attached. She was standing there looking terrible with her vent still potentially trying to expel some things.

So at this point I’m wondering if it’s time to say goodbye. But at the same time I’m thinking maybe this is good she got it out? She stood there for a while not looking good but then started to eat. Anyone know what I’m working with over here? Thanks for any help. I have 7 x 7 week old pullets so part of me wants to remove any drama or problem behavior by the time I integrate.

Attachments

• 25B2A130-F578-4C85-B4FE-1E67CAA2B986.jpeg
    25B2A130-F578-4C85-B4FE-1E67CAA2B986.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 102
  • B15F54BF-C2F8-4424-BF4C-5021FD6811AF.jpeg
    B15F54BF-C2F8-4424-BF4C-5021FD6811AF.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 20
It helps to place a familiar object next to such a thing for scale so we have an idea of size. Also, as @Saveria mentioned, slicing it in half so we can have an idea what it's makeup is would be helpful.

Normally, a tiny bit of material like that absent sickly behavior is indicative of infection, but you have reason enough to believe it's just starting and treat with an antibiotic. But if the hen is older and has been acting sick for a good spell, euthanasia is definitely justified. Also, all the red stuff indicates infection may have progressed to the point that death of tissue may be taking place, and treatment would be futile.

It looks like lash material. Could you cut it in half and take a picture of that as well?

Thanks for the response! Here is the inside.

Attachments

• B567A7B1-2152-4BFF-B692-60281D34BC07.jpeg
    B567A7B1-2152-4BFF-B692-60281D34BC07.jpeg
    352.8 KB · Views: 21
  • E0D8847A-81EA-4E21-9811-19AABCBB598D.jpeg
    E0D8847A-81EA-4E21-9811-19AABCBB598D.jpeg
    795.4 KB · Views: 21
It helps to place a familiar object next to such a thing for scale so we have an idea of size. Also, as @Saveria mentioned, slicing it in half so we can have an idea what it's makeup is would be helpful.

Normally, a tiny bit of material like that absent sickly behavior is indicative of infection, but you have reason enough to believe it's just starting and treat with an antibiotic. But if the hen is older and has been acting sick for a good spell, euthanasia is definitely justified. Also, all the red stuff indicates infection may have progressed to the point that death of tissue may be taking place, and treatment would be futile.
Thank you. I just posted some photos. My husband is holding one half if that helps for scale. She laid a shell-less egg with a bunch of poop this morning. The last time she laid an egg I had to pull a thin shell out of her vent. Then I have a butt soak to try to get anything out to avoid infection. That was 6 or more weeks ago. Thanks for your help.

I agree that that is lash material in the photo, a product of salpingitis. Hens with salpingitis may lay yolks internally as well, and sometimes will pass that lash material, or have weird eggs, soft shell eggs, or just pass membranes. Once lash material is seen, it may be too late for antibiotics to help. Hopefully, she will just stop laying altogether, since that tends to make them feel better. Many hens do suffer from various laying problems, and they still might live for a couple of years, but just not be too productive. Early in life exposure to the respiratory virus infectious bronchitis, can cause later reproductive disorders.

About an inch long? If so, that's considerable lash material and it may indicate a much larger mess going on internally. If she's been acting sick for a good while, you can be confident euthanasia is justified.

About an inch long? If so, that's considerable lash material and it may indicate a much larger mess going on internally. If she's been acting sick for a good while, you can be confident euthanasia is justified.
Probably 2.5 to 3 inches long, an inch or so wide. Thanks again for the feedback. It is very much helping our decision making. Appreciate you all taking the time to help people on here. 💚

This isn't a reply to the subject being discussed, but I don't know how to start a question. I hardboiled some eggs for lunch and cut them in ½...in one I found what appears to be a small stone (see photo, on narrow lined paper) imbedded in the white, had to dig it out!

Attachments

• egg stone.HEIC pdf.pdf
    15.4 MB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom