Freecycle

I love freecycle! I've given things away and I've received things. I love that it is all free and everyone knows it. I love it when I give something away and the person is so excited to get it! It's almost like Christmas but I don't have to wrap it!
big_smile.png

I tried the list and was never able to get anything that was posted.Someone always got to it first.I gave up after a few months.I did get a free door(delivered no less) from craigs free section.

I just recently signed up for one, though it's not exactly 'local'. It's the closest one though, about 45 minutes away. Luckily I have a friend that lives in that town, so I'm sure I could get her to go snag something for me if I needed it
smile.png

It doesn't seem to be very active though, I'm not sure how well it will work.
idunno.gif

Our freecycle group is a joke! 95% of the emails are beggars-the same ones over and over. They "need" working cars, working laptops, nice running riding mowers, video game systems, etc. Christmas brings even more of that-last Christmas we actually had an email from someone (one of the "regulars") who had a list of 10-12 items that they wanted for their 15 and 17 year-old grandsons: laptops, Playstations, Nintendo Wii's, and video games. It has ruined it around here, we only get emails every few days now, and only 2 or 3 at a time. I don't mind people asking for something once in a while, but to ask for such expensive items? Also, if you are going to ask for something, then OFFER something sometimes too!
Okay, I'll step off my soapbox now
wink.png

Quote:
Our Freecycle has a few rules that keep it from degrading to that. "Wanteds" are only allowed one day of the week and you can't post a "wanted" unless you've posted an "offer". All the posts are moderated and they do a pretty good job of staying on top of it. Overall, ours is still a pretty positive experience.

Ours doesn't require you Offer in order to Want... that'd be TRADING, not GIVING and they make a point of saying so.

But you can only post 3 Wanteds per month... and that's each item more or less, Mod's choice.

Like if you Wanted Christmas gifts you could say

Wanted: Kids Clothing... and inside the post... Size 6 Clothing For Boy, Size 8 Clothing for Girl
Wanted: Barbies (for the 8yo girl)
Wanted: Hot Wheels (for 6yo boy)

Those could be three separate Wanted posts, OR you could make it all in one and call it Christmas Gifts.
But, the actual things would be no more than three.
They sometimes allow a little wiggle room on the clothes, like if you have two kids... or said clothes and shoes... but I haven't really tracked it so that might just be the only two items they asked for that month. *shrug*

You couldn't make one that said Wanted: Christmas Gifts

Girls Clothing Size 8
Boys Clothing Size 6
Barbies
Hot Wheels
Princess TV and DVD Player
Cars TV and DVD Player
Girls Movies
Boys Movies

If you wanted all that you'd have to start in October and list three at a time... but again, ALL posts in our Yahoo Group Freecycle are approved by Mods before they're posted. If yours doesn't have that then it could be manipulated.

Once an Offer has been picked up then the person can post a TAKEN so others don't bug them, but it's not required so that can be annoying. There isn't any way (I know of?) where you can say GOTTEN after you've posted a Wanted... that'd be nice. Contact wise... the Offers and whatnot are posted on the Group Site/Emailed... but they don't really contain contact info (except the Offers that say it's on the curb first one here gets it) you have to click REPLY and whatever you write is sent to that person's email... then they can choose to reply, there's no limit on the number of people who can answer your Wanted or your Offer, so making sure you put in a Taken is the sane thing to do.

Last edited:
I don't think I was clear about how ours works. You don't have to post an offer for every wanted, you just have to have posted an offer sometime recently. This prevents people from signing up just to post wanteds. The moderators don't just arbitrarily decide if you've posted recently enough either, it's written in the guidelines. I think the main thing is you've posted an offer before posting a wanted.

Back
Top Bottom