i have 12 barred rock, 2 turned out to be hens and 10 roosters. we're thinking about keeping 2 roosters with our hens and getting rid of the other 8. they are not show bird, just commercial grade but i'd still like to cultivate them to have a nice flock. we're taking them to be butchered in the morning, so i don't have much time left to make up my mind which one goes and which one stays. it was rainy today so i didn't get to see them much to ponder about it some more. i've heard a few crow so far, some sound good, some stop mid sentence like if they were choking on their words... - one has curly toes and lop sided wattle, so no debate on that one, he'll go. - one i call my friendly giant, i believe he's my biggest, has an extra row of wing feather that started to grow ahead of the others but i have no idea what he sounds like. his plumage is on the darker side for a rooster and his tail is not the showiest. (thinking of keeping this one) - the one who sings the best seem to also be a descent size but he has one of the funniest tail. low and bushy with only 4 feather sticking upward and curling toward his head. he also seem to be the alpha. his plumage is on the lighter side. (thinking of keeping this one) - there's one that has a black with greenish hue feather in his tail. he's smaller and i'm wondering if it's natural of a barred rock to have greenish tail feathers? the rest are either smaller or i haven't found them any distinctive trait to identify them. our 1 priority is eggs, but if they can hatch some chicks, the extras (above replacement rate) would be freezer meat so i'm hoping that the larger roosters would help produce larger offsprings. looks might be nice but i don't want to grit my teeth every time i hear the roosters crow either. not everyone will see my chickens but i'm sure they'll hear him for at least half a mile around. they're just about reaching their 18 week, are their tail feather still going to evolve, is there anything else i should consider? or am i going about it all the wrong ways? i don't want to have to feed that many rooster for any longer then needed and if the hens are about to lay any day now, 10 roosters is probably more stressful on them too. so although it might be tempting to postpone the visit to the butcher one more week, should i bother agonizing that much longer about which one to pick? Thanks in advance for any advices you can afford me. it's my first time having to cull my flock and i'm afraid to make the wrong choice.