1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Freezing boiled eggs, can this be done and how to defrost for eating?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mommysongbird, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    I was searching the archives but didn't run across what I am looking for.

So I am boiling eggs, some will go in some different salads but most I will leave whole. Can these be frozen and then unthawed easily and eaten?

Also the ones I have mashed up, can I freeze any that is left that I don't use in salads this week??

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    If you freeze cooked eggs, they get really rubbery.
    I tried freezing something that I had diced boiled egg in and it was horrible. I ended up throwing it away.
    If you want to try it, pop one in the freezer right now, then defrost it tomorrow and see what you think.

I read on here that you can crack a raw egg into a baggie and freeze it to use in recipes later.

3. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Thanks, I can just hope that these get eaten in the next few days or our girls will get to eat them. LOL

4. katescountryfarm

katescountryfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    South West Florida
    I use this method.....

Whole Eggs

Mix the yolks and egg whites together. Then, pour the egg mixture into an ice cube tray, and freeze.

[SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=inherit][B][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit]Egg Yolks[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/B]

[FONT=inherit]To prevent thickening, stir in half a teaspoon of salt (or one and a half tablespoons of sugar, if the eggs will be used in desserts) for every one cup of yolks. Then, pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.
    [B][B]One cube is the equivalent of two egg yolks.[/B][/B]
    [/FONT][/SIZE]
    [LEFT][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][LEFT][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit][SIZE=4][B][COLOR=inherit][B][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit] [/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][B][COLOR=inherit][B][SIZE=3][FONT=inherit]Egg Whites[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT]
    No special prep is required. Just pour the whites into an ice cube tray, and freeze.[/FONT][/SIZE]

5. cubbysan

cubbysan Chillin' With My Peeps

I have cracked a eggs in a muffin tin, baked them so I have twelve perfect sunny side eggs. I then put them in english muffins with a slice of cheese. I have frozen those, and then cooked them in the microwave for breakfast. They have come out as perfect Egg McMuffins!

6. GardenWeasel

GardenWeasel Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Henry, TN
    Brilliant Cubbysan. I make the egg McMuffins and never thought to put them in my muffin tin. They will be prettier. I don't find a problem with the texture but they weren't boiled.

7. Rhoise

Rhoise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Boise, Idaho
    AWESOME! I was looking for ideas to use our eggs, with two teenage boys those will be a hit!!! I'm gonna add a slice of black forest ham to them also..... yum!!!
    What do you freeze them in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by