French frogs

Sold Tate and the girls :/
Actually feel pretty good about it. Now that frees up a pen to split the AMs

I know it's hard to give up ones that you're attached to and are perfectly good chickens. I'm going through it still too. But think of the end goal. It's worth it.

I am just starting my Black Copper Marans breeding flock. It has been quite an experience, both in $ and BS. Careful research has been the key... That and sitting back and watching the behavior of breeders in FB groups and chats. I have a $200 RUMPLESS BCM from a hatch from one of these breeders but I have gotten some great hatching eggs and chicks as well.

Yes! What's up with breeders and FB?? They are all on there, almost competing with one another. I signed up just to have some breeder connects. I do the same thing...just watch them go back and forth, picking apart each other's birds.

I got all excited over a local breeders dark eggs and bought my first flock. Then I joined BYC, posted pictures on the BCM thread, and got a rude awakening to what I was dealing with. Way too many faults to breed out, and after I got Ameraucanas from Paul Smith I learned how much easier it is to pay a little more for a better foundation

This is so true!! I wasted a lot of time with shipped eggs. Better to just buy straight from reputable breeders.

I'm waiting on Judy Lee. She is the best breeder in the US for the color silkies I want to breed. Unfortunately everyone wants to buy from her and she doesn't do a wait list. You just have to keep checking in with her every few weeks as hers grow out. I don't care how long it takes, I'm determined to buy birds from her someday.

Yes! What's up with breeders and FB?? They are all on there, almost competing with one another. I signed up just to have some breeder connects. I do the same thing...just watch them go back and forth, picking apart each other's birds.

Almost? It's like a constant infomercial!! Egg color is impossible to judge online, some breeders don't post ANY pictures of their stock, some never stop. I tried REAL hard to hatch some LP eggs, I still have some in the bator for the next two weeks but that is where I got this rumpless BCM.

Almost? It's like a constant infomercial!! Egg color is impossible to judge online, some breeders don't post ANY pictures of their stock, some never stop. I tried REAL hard to hatch some LP eggs, I still have some in the bator for the next two weeks but that is where I got this rumpless BCM.

I know! And the prices they are selling eggs/chicks/birds for is crazy. But as soon as they post for sale, someone is all over it. I'm hoping to get there someday and have this hobby pay for itself.

I'm waiting on Judy Lee. She is the best breeder in the US for the color silkies I want to breed. Unfortunately everyone wants to buy from her and she doesn't do a wait list. You just have to keep checking in with her every few weeks as hers grow out. I don't care how long it takes, I'm determined to buy birds from her someday.
Patience is hard, but it pays off

Leaf blowers are great for stoking the fire in a chimenea
I try to stay away from chimney fires myself
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom