Fresno CA

Laton, CA

BBS Ameraucana
BBS Wyandottes

a couple of EE's, a Buff Orpington, and a Dominique

:) I'm just starting out with everything.

Just starting out in Visalia! I have 3 hens so far. I'm looking for area specific ways to beat the HEAT! And maybe add some new chicks in the spring. Where do y'all get your birds?

Just starting out in Visalia! I have 3 hens so far. I'm looking for area specific ways to beat the HEAT! And maybe add some new chicks in the spring. Where do y'all get your birds?

I'm in Dinuba and got my 7 RIR at TSC in Dinuba. I'm pretty sure Heiskell's there in Visalia sells chicks too. There used to be a hatchery out by Kingsburg but I don't know if they are still open or not.

As for summer heat, I make sure my ladies have fresh cool water available always, have put up a shade tarp on part of their run, and wet down their run with cool water at least twice a day. Not to the point that I create mud or mud holes but just a light wetting. For some reason, they love when I throw some of their finishing crumbles (they are about 4 1/2 months now) on the ground then spray them with water. I also like to give them chilled tomatoes out of the fridge. They go nuts for them lol.

Thanks! I'll wet their run. And for the hatchery info. My girls are doing ok in the heat. I've been freezing water bottles, they seem to like sitting next to them. Do you know if Barred Rocks do well here? My husband really wants some lol he likes their look

Thanks! I'll wet their run. And for the hatchery info. My girls are doing ok in the heat. I've been freezing water bottles, they seem to like sitting next to them. Do you know if Barred Rocks do well here? My husband really wants some lol he likes their look

Not sure about Barred Rocks around here. I don't know anyone who has them but my wife and I were considering them to expand our flock. I guess you/we could call Brit Farms.?

Last edited:

I have 4 barred rocks we got from 4H and they do well in Fairfield CA. This past week it was in the night 90s and they good. Everyone was a little lethargic.

Back
Top Bottom