Friday the 13th Hatch a Long

they almost always need help to get out. just be sure to give it as much time as possible to absorb the egg sack. If you have to assist, go really slowly. do a bit, then stop - repeat

I've got 13 in the incubator for this coming Friday the 13th they aren't anything spectacular just my little barnyard mix but this is my first time doing it and I'm nervous! Some of my eggs are olive colored and some light green and some white I bought a Candler specifically for candling and I can't see jack in the green eggs at all just the white eggs but they are coming along nicely!

I went in to look again and caught movement by mama. First baby is here!

they almost always need help to get out. just be sure to give it as much time as possible to absorb the egg sack. If you have to assist, go really slowly. do a bit, then stop - repeat
Oh, I'm not going to mess with it for awhile. One of my previous hatches from 2 years ago, I'm pretty sure I had one that pipped in the "wrong place" also. I can't remember what happened with that chick, but I'm trying to not open the incubator this time at all once they start pipping & hatching. Lost too many chicks before when I opened it, even when no one was currently pipped or zipping. I've even considered putting an actually lock on my coolerbator to help me resist the temptation once the chicks start hatching.
I have to go to bed early, as I have to work tomorrow, and won't be coming home until late.
So, if there's any more "action" tomorrow, I'll probably miss it!
On the other hand, I'd rather come home to progress on the hatching, rather than nothing.

Hope those who are staying home on Friday get to see some action; hopefully, they'll be more good news tomorrow night!

my 1st one is out and drying off in the bator but "SHE" is squirming around so much I may have to move her to the brooder box.
thoughts?

2nd pip of the evening! had to move 1st one into the brooder (not happy chick) she was trying to smash her sibling =(

my 1st one is out and drying off in the bator but "SHE" is squirming around so much I may have to move her to the brooder box.
thoughts?
Wow! That was a fast one.
thumbsup.gif

I don't have any chicks yet, but just a few seconds ago, I heard loud peeping coming from the hatcher.
I woke up at 3:30am from a dream about chicks hatching again - and found the one that has pipped on the wrong end had pipped a short line & was trying to push off a "big chunk" of the shell!
I looked and there was another pip. I managed to get back in bed until 5, then up for good. I guess the peeping has encouraged others, as when I just looked a few minutes ago, I had a total of 4 that have pipped! No, make that 5 - all 3 of the green eggs that are in the "cage" together have pipped.
jumpy.gif

Yesterday, I just brought in the brooder, cleaned it up a little & set it up in the storage room. I'm using grass pellets (similar to wood pellets, but made from hay) for litter this time, as I've used wood pellets for several years now. Yesterday, also made a run into town to pick up shavings & a bag of chick starter - fresh off the delivery truck that day from a local feed mill! I might start fermenting it tonight, we'll see how things have progressed by the time I get home from work.

2nd chick made "HER" appearance at about 1am, could not sleep knowing my cats were waiting for her.
They are peeping away in the brooder. The remaining 4 were questionable so I am going to leave them till Sunday and see what happens.

Cross your fingers for me that I get one or 2 more.

Back
Top Bottom