Friday the 13th Hatch a Long

armyPatti

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 31, 2015
Is anyone else setting eggs today?

setting 7 French Black & Blue Copper Marans from Canadain Stock
(they are completely un-related to the Bev Davis / Wade Jeane lines we are used to in the US.

Candled again yesterday, and 8 of the eggs have veins, one I'm not sure about but it's darker than the clear ones.
There was one that was quite active, as I could see the embryo pulsing and moving around - so cool!

There's a few more I'll wait to remove, but yesterday, I was able to replace some of the clear eggs with freshly laid eggs that are more likely to be fertilized.
I also checked some of the eggs that were more recent in the fridge, and many of them had bull's eyes.
The one "good thing" about many of the first batch of eggs being infertile is that I won't need as long of a waiting period for the eggs to be "pure".

It'll be "warm" today at 34*, but I won't be home during the time they're laying. Hopefully there's be a few more from today that I can set.
Only have a few days left, then I can't add any more, so the incubator will by empty by 3/14 for the Easter HAL.

Is anyone else setting eggs today?

setting 7 French Black & Blue Copper Marans from Canadain Stock
(they are completely un-related to the Bev Davis / Wade Jeane lines we are used to in the US.
I set 46 eggs on 2/13 too! They are easter egger and easter egger x barred rock crosses. I collected half of the eggs during the week of the 13th when it was in the low 20's and 10's for temperature and the rest had been in the refrigerator for about a week. I was really nervous because of how cold it was that they wouldn't be viable, but so far only 4 eggs were infertile and not developing! I had a hard time candling the olive eggs but all the blue eggs and all but 3 of the brown eggs are developing just fine! Take that cold weather!

Last edited:
So what was your mistake?
yippiechickie.gif

All five of mine hatched overnight. I didn't want to remove their heat source for long (momma) but I did lift her off too remove the egg shells and snapped a quick pic before I put her back on them.

No pips as of 10:00 this morning. I came home four hours later and one of the green eggs fully hatched and there's a little black chick running around! I didn't see any other pips yet!

Updates? I had two more pip at 9pm and as of 8am, one is fully hatched and the other is half out just sitting there observing. I thought the first one was black, but when he dried off he was more brownish yellow. He also seemed really big for a hatchling, but then again the last few hatches have been quail so he should seem really large compared to them lol. I'll try and get pics later today after work. happy hatching!

Yes, I set a batch of eggs 2/13 early in the morning. They're a "test hatch" from my Catskill Homesteader breeding project.
It's the first time I've incubated eggs this early in the year, usually I wait until it's warmer.
Thankfully, we have a few days in the upper 20's and low 30's.
But, it's back down to below zero at night and single digit highs, so no eggs laid during these next few days would be able to be hatched!

Back
Top Bottom