Friday the 13th Hatch a Long

So what was your mistake?
yippiechickie.gif
I don't need anymore chickens!!!!
(well that are not Marans anyway)

I'm joining the party late!

I gave my broody Silkie, Dahlia, 6 eggs on the evening of Friday the 13th. One was clear and I think I pulled it out on day 11. I did crack it open just to verify and it was just a normal unfertilized egg. I am being a bit ridiculous - I'm taking the day off of work on Friday just to be home!

I also have another Silkie, Lily, sitting on 4 eggs, but those were started 4 days later. One may have gotten scrambled last night though. I pulled her out of the next box to eat and an egg came with her. It dropped down an inch and hit the brick and then another inch or two and hit the floor and then it rolled some. No cracks, but it went for a ride. I'll have to candle it again in a few days.

I have both of them inside. I have a temporary pen that I used last year as a brooder when I got in the hatchery chicks, but with two broodies, I wanted another area to use at first and then in case they have problems comingling. So, we built a 6' x 2' brooder. Only 2' tall, but it has a lid. I have Dahlia inside it now and Lily is in her box in the corner.

Last night I surrounded Dahlia's nest box with bricks then added in shavings and straw all around. I only filled up about half of the brooder so far. I'll add paper towels on top of everything for a few days. I'll get it set up for the chicks a bit better tonight and probably move the food closer to see if Dahlia wants to eat any from her next box. I made her get up last night, get a good drink of water, eat a nice meal, and do a good poop. Hopefully this will set her up pretty good for the upcoming days. She has not wanted to get off the nest on her own.

I'm joining the party late!

I gave my broody Silkie, Dahlia, 6 eggs on the evening of Friday the 13th. One was clear and I think I pulled it out on day 11. I did crack it open just to verify and it was just a normal unfertilized egg. I am being a bit ridiculous - I'm taking the day off of work on Friday just to be home!

I also have another Silkie, Lily, sitting on 4 eggs, but those were started 4 days later. One may have gotten scrambled last night though. I pulled her out of the next box to eat and an egg came with her. It dropped down an inch and hit the brick and then another inch or two and hit the floor and then it rolled some. No cracks, but it went for a ride. I'll have to candle it again in a few days.

I have both of them inside. I have a temporary pen that I used last year as a brooder when I got in the hatchery chicks, but with two broodies, I wanted another area to use at first and then in case they have problems comingling. So, we built a 6' x 2' brooder. Only 2' tall, but it has a lid. I have Dahlia inside it now and Lily is in her box in the corner.

Last night I surrounded Dahlia's nest box with bricks then added in shavings and straw all around. I only filled up about half of the brooder so far. I'll add paper towels on top of everything for a few days. I'll get it set up for the chicks a bit better tonight and probably move the food closer to see if Dahlia wants to eat any from her next box. I made her get up last night, get a good drink of water, eat a nice meal, and do a good poop. Hopefully this will set her up pretty good for the upcoming days. She has not wanted to get off the nest on her own.

Nice little brooder there - I have to build some broody coops this year, so I might borrow your design. I have some similar but bigger, and I really like the top hinged lid.
But, I might have to make a few with side doors, so I can stack them! Hoping I get lots of broodies this year, and if it's anything like the past few years, I should since I have many of the same hens. No Silkies, though I did have some awhile ago, but didn't end up keeping them.

Thanks for sharing and Welcome!

No pips yet on my eggs in the hatcher.
sad.png
I hope to see at least one soon, and I'm staying away from TSC on purpose! These last few days waiting are always hard, especially when it's the first chicks of the year!

it's the coldest day of the year so far here in Central Texas. Taking the kiddo to the doc this morning, maybe there will be something in the bator when we get back.
I pick up my 5 Buff Orpington's this afternoon from the feed store just hope they have some Marans to keep company with.

Back
Top Bottom