Frizzle Hen Slowly and Mysteriously Losing Feathers, NOT MOLTING

My frizzle Cochin roo, Freddy, is king of his coop but smaller than all of his hens. They are all Bantams, but he just never grew much and all his girls are a lot bigger than he is, but he doesn't care. He can't get up on any of the roosts with his tiny useless frizzle wings, but discovered his could hop up on the 'flock block' and was in HEAVEN. That's where he 'holds court'...stands up on that thing and is master of all he surveys. We always say he is 'big on the inside'.
yippiechickie.gif

My frizzle has been losing her feathers for the last 6 weeks like all of yours. The big question is since she's broody and sitting on eggs, will she be able to hatch them since with less feathers=less warmth
idunno.gif

My hen is going the same thing but I don't have a rooster. I'm just curious why it's happening and not it's winter and she doesn't have much feathers to begin with compared to my other hen.

I have two red Frizzles that have done the same thing. One seems to be getting some feathers back but the other is not. I have ruled out molt, mites and last rooster pecking. Mine have all the symptoms mentioned. I never did see an answer as to wether or not they would get better or if there was anything that could be done. Did you ever get an answer?

What is the special food that is helping so much? We have a double frizzle (if that's what you'd call her). All she has left now are ringlets as though she was permed and left too long! There are still a few feathers like a 'skirt' - very fine and downy - at the bottom of her body. Otherwise, all you see is pink skin.

What is the special food? My girls did get some feathers back but still have bare patches.

My frizzle is only losing the feathers at the back of her neck. She did not do this last summer, only now. We have no roosters, but one other hen shes been with since birth and I have never seen them peck each other. She dust bathes regularly and i have not been able to discover lice, fleas, or mites anywhere. What is the food everyone recommends for the feather growth?

I purchased two cochin bantees last year and to my surprize one was a frizzle...unfortunately he must of carried two of the F genes, as all of his flight and tail feathers broke off along with large bald patches on his body, that wasnt due to molting. He really looked monsterous, and had bright red skin and feet, that appeared to be inflamed yet no sign of parasites on him or the rest of the flock.

He looked so unhealthy and inflamed, that we finally culled him today and thus revealed that he had some internal problems as well, such as: an enlarged liver, heart and testicles all of which were larger than any large breed roo we have ever seen, His body was just skin and bones with no edible fat/meat except for his legs which were large/meaty and out of proportion to his size.

Needless to say this little bantee was probably a good example of why you should not breed frizzle to frizzle and need to be careful about breeding if you have frizzle chickens in your flock.

I would guess that could explain your mysterious feather loss with your frizzle hen.

Back
Top Bottom