Frizzle, Silkie & d'Uccle youngsters

AprilDrake

In the Brooder
Apr 26, 2017
Newcastle
I have several chickens that were hatched in February/March timeframe and need new homes. All were hand-reared and are used to be held by my 5 year old daughter who holds them daily. That doesn't mean they run up to her (unless she has treats) but they are pretty docile when caught. All were raised together. I just don't have the room for so many cockerels and the hens aren't working with my more dominant birds.

• You can have a pullet FREE if you take a cock.
  • Cocks free
  • Pullets $10 unless you take a cock
Stock:
  • 1 platinum d'uccle pullet
  • 1 white d'uccle cockerel
  • 1 ginger-colored frizzle cockerel
  • 1 black-colored frizzle pullet
  • 1 white silkie cockerel

Attachments

• 18922084_10155371576941810_2565729338443543930_n.jpg
    18922084_10155371576941810_2565729338443543930_n.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 19
So here are the basics:

For a rooster flock you need a big enough coop for the roosters to be able to get away from each other. In my rooster flock of 6, I have a few different feeders and waterers so all the roos can have enough food and water. It isn't really necessary, I just like to be safe. I free range my roosters once a week, but on that day keep the hens locked up. You don't have to free range them though.

Add new roosters at around 3 months of age, and make sure no roosters gang up on them. if a rooster is being bullied wait for a while to see if it goes away. If it doesn't, than remove the bullied roo or bully from the rooster flock. I would separate the bullied/bully in with the hens, so you don't have to get it a new coop.

I wrote a thread in "Managing Your Flock" if you want to know more. :)

Where.are you located?

I'm in Northern Vermont - practically on the Canadian border.

Lol, on the thread the information is a little spread out. :p I'll add some more stuff to the first post, though.

Because I know you're dying to know, I opted against an all-rooster flock, and purchased more hens. I have six Salmon Faverolle hens arriving Wednesday/Thursday from Cackle, and found a local Silkie breeder that has some hens roughly the same age as my current group for sale. PLUS I just heard about a chicken swap being held this weekend AND I vetted a local farm that will take roosters - for breeding stock, not eating. I made sure to check. They'll get their own little coop, some ladies to tend to and all the vitals they can cram into their crop.

Back
Top Bottom