From 14 to 2 :-/

ChueyJose

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 20, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Hi everybody. Some tragic news. The flock we had (about 3 weeks old) started exploring like Ferdinan Magellan. VERY inquisitive, hyper, and persistent on being let out. We had them in our barn with the horses in one of the larger vacant stall. Last thursday a mean storm passed through, and a window blew open and out they went. Later that day they had all dissapeared :(... all 14. The next day two turned up. Scared cold and wet. Over the weekend we moved them into their permanent house, a large outdoor shed that we transformed into a coop with a run attached. They seem very tentative on wanting to go outside, even into their run after the tragic experience. We have 4 more babies coming 10/15. Any advice on how to proceed?

PS we were VERY happy to have our 2 come home!!!! But deeply saddened about the absence of the 12.

Gosh that's sad, we have had bad weather we wontvketvthem out no matter what untill the bad wind has passed they have about 3x2 covered meters to move around in but we go down to the three times a day at least and hand feed them and hold them then put them back but no way are they coming out until the weather changes.
Sorry you lost so many I have 17 and they are adventurous

Sorry for your loss, there is a lot of info on introducing new birds on here. The key points are slowly, when the birds are similar size, with some form of separation for the first while, so they can see each other but not fight.
Good luck.

Well if you section of the coop and you want to move them before they are adult size, they would probably be fine. But most people wait for the everyone to be the same size, In my experience 4 months old ( sometimes sooner ) they'll be full size. But of corse it's up to you, if they're separated I don't see why you can't add them to your coop sooner. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom