From brooder to coop

Jan 17, 2021
Hello! new chicken owner here. My chicks are 3-4 weeks old and i'm hoping to move them to the coop as soon as i can. I read everywhere that its around 6 weeks? Our coop is almost ready to go but it being winter, I worry that my chicks will get cold. How do you keep your coop warm in the winter time? Im debating a heater...thoughts? opinions?

I’d wait until they are at least 6 weeks, it also means they can defend them selves better from predators and other chickens.

Hello! new chicken owner here. My chicks are 3-4 weeks old and i'm hoping to move them to the coop as soon as i can. I read everywhere that its around 6 weeks? Our coop is almost ready to go but it being winter, I worry that my chicks will get cold. How do you keep your coop warm in the winter time? Im debating a heater...thoughts? opinions?
At 6 weeks you should be able to move them to the coop. A heater or heat lamp would work, but heaters are usually safer. How cold does it get there and is your coop insulated?

At 6 weeks you should be able to move them to the coop. A heater or heat lamp would work, but heaters are usually safer. How cold does it get there and is your coop insulated?
30’s-40’s....it’s been a pretty mild winter. We’re still building it but I planned on straw. Is there anything else I can do to insulate?

Then when they move to the coop, I read to keep them in the coop for 2 days so their use to it. Is that something that’s actually done or when they go out, can you let them roam in the run as well

When it comes to keeping them warm, by the time they are 6 weeks they should already be feathered out and able to keep themselves warm. Heat in the coop is a no no; the key is ventilation. Chickens are fine being a little cold, but when there’s improper ventilation the moisture from their breath will settle into their combs and cause frostbite. If your chicks are feathered out and their coop is well ventilated, they should be fine. Heat can actually cause them to not grow the essential warming feathers they need. And in Georgia, you will only have to really worry about frostbite for 2 months out of the year.

Then when they move to the coop, I read to keep them in the coop for 2 days so their use to it. Is that something that’s actually done or when they go out, can you let them roam in the run as well

That's up to you - it's a good way to teach them the coop is home, but only do this if you have ample space in the coop for them to use, good ventilation, and natural light or a light on a timer so they get used to a normal day/night cycle.

Back
Top Bottom