From silkie mix to new breed?

The boys are starting to look and act like roosters now. I thought I'd post a little update of what they look like now (Onyx and Onell).

I've decided I will keep all pullets over the winter, just cause I'm not in a rush to get rid of them and I'm interested to see how they'll look when they're older. Then I will rehome them just before I start hatching the first chicks in spring, to make sure I only have chicks from the birds I want.
20230719_120925.jpg
20230719_122507.jpg

The boys are starting to look and act like roosters now. I thought I'd post a little update of what they look like now (Onyx and Onell).

I've decided I will keep all pullets over the winter, just cause I'm not in a rush to get rid of them and I'm interested to see how they'll look when they're older. Then I will rehome them just before I start hatching the first chicks in spring, to make sure I only have chicks from the birds I want.
View attachment 3585053View attachment 3585054
Both of them look so pretty!

For a while now I've been trying to think of a name for them. I want it to be one word, simple, translates well in other other languages (specifically English and Latvian) and has some kind of meaning that links it back to it's Latvian origin.

With that in mind the name for this breed that I have so far come up with is Teika.
The name Teika originates from a Latvian word that means: a folklore genre similar to a fairy tale, legend or story, which is more often based on historical events, depicting the origin of various objects and phenomena.

What do you think about this name? I want some opinions on whether it would be a good potential name to call this breed?

For a while now I've been trying to think of a name for them. I want it to be one word, simple, translates well in other other languages (specifically English and Latvian) and has some kind of meaning that links it back to it's Latvian origin.

With that in mind the name for this breed that I have so far come up with is Teika.
The name Teika originates from a Latvian word that means: a folklore genre similar to a fairy tale, legend or story, which is more often based on historical events, depicting the origin of various objects and phenomena.

What do you think about this name? I want some opinions on whether it would be a good potential name to call this breed?
It is a good name. Although the name can come later once you get them to breed true.

Here's what I've learned recently:
(If I'm wrong on any of this feel free to correct me. I'm trying to write it all down to understand it a bit better cause it's a bit of a mess in my head right now.)

This color is a result of them having one Ml (melanotic) gene. If I had two birds of the exact same genotype, both Ml/ml+ and I bred them together I would get Ml/ml+ (same as parents), ml+/ml+ and Ml/Ml. What I have yet to figure out is what the ml+/ml+ and Ml/Ml versions of this color look like. In short, they can't breed true.

I have a theory, but I don't know if it would work. I hope that these 3 variations of this color could be bred together and have consistent results. Think of how BBS pens work. From what I understand there would be the color Oakley has or similar to it, a version with more black and one with less black? So if I worked with these 3 versions enough could they breed togeather consistently?
I tried using the color calculator and I think when I breed Onyx to Oakley I should get all 3 variations in both gold and silver.

Onyx is golden (S/s+) and I need them to be silver, so I'll need to breed out the gold gene.

It is a good name. Although the name can come later once you get them to breed true.
Thank you. I will still go back to the name later. Right now I just wanted to write it down so I wouldn't forget it.

I took some photos of the two roosters and Onell. Unfortunately I only have the pictures of Onyx at the moment. The rest I'll post later. He's such a pretty rooster. I love how feathered his legs are. There's more feathers than there is leg. I also like that he doesn't have those blue earlobes. I can't wait for his tail to fully grow in.
IMG-20230826-WA0017.jpg
IMG-20230826-WA0040.jpg

I will be getting some bantam cochins eventually. Mainly for test breeding my silkies for carrying single combs. I think it might be fun to throw in some cochin into the mix and see what comes out. It might help with type.
I'm interested to see what will happen with the silkie x cochins. The silkies I'll be test breeding are fluffier and have better type than the ones I used in this project originally.

I took some photos of the two roosters and Onell. Unfortunately I only have the pictures of Onyx at the moment. The rest I'll post later. He's such a pretty rooster. I love how feathered his legs are. There's more feathers than there is leg. I also like that he doesn't have those blue earlobes. I can't wait for his tail to fully grow in. View attachment 3620537View attachment 3620536
I will be getting some bantam cochins eventually. Mainly for test breeding my silkies for carrying single combs. I think it might be fun to throw in some cochin into the mix and see what comes out. It might help with type.
I'm interested to see what will happen with the silkie x cochins. The silkies I'll be test breeding are fluffier and have better type than the ones I used in this project originally.
His feet are so fluffy! Also I am a sucker for walnut combs. But if you want single combs go for it! Though single combs are recessive, so it may take some generations to get them.

His feet are so fluffy! Also I am a sucker for walnut combs. But if you want single combs go for it! Though single combs are recessive, so it may take some generations to get them.
I will definitely keep the walnut combs. I've had chickens with different comb types and walnuts have always been my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom