Frost bitten rooster

akostka1988

Chirping
May 15, 2020
Alton, ME
I’m sorry this is probably a common problem among northern chickens but my rooster has a blister on the top part of his comb and the entire comb is looking quite pale. We had a night that reached 3F the other day and last night maxed out around 10F. I’m assuming it’s the start of frostbite. What can I do to prevent this? It doesn’t seem to hurt he let me touch it firmly but I don’t want him to hurt he’s already an odd looking and acting rooster he doesn’t need mother nature’s help lol. His waddle looks great nice and healthy red as do the other chickens. I still need to actually get the guinea to sit still to at least look as his waddles before I can confirm the same. My poor Pony Boy! Any tips would be SUPER awesome!

Can you get a picture to show what's going on?

Frostbite is caused by humidity in the cold, not just the cold itself. Do you have enough ventilation to keep humidity down in the coop?

If it is frostbite, the affected area will eventually turn black and fall off. Someone had a picture of a rooster who had a smooth top to his comb because he'd lost all the points to frostbite.

Frostbite in combs can be common in such cold areas as ME in Dec through Feb. Do not handle or massage suspected frostbitten areas. Do not break blisters. A hydrogel spray such as Vetericyn or similar product from feed stores can be used without touching the area, but make sure he is inside where the temp is above freezing. It can take a week or more to determine how much damage there could be. Sometimes the points of the comb become rounded off in a month or so. Pictures may help. Check his wattlea and feet as well. Here is some reading about frostbite:
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/how-to-recognize-and-treat-frostbite-in-chickens/

https://the-chicken-chick.com/frostbit-in-backyard-chickens-causes/

Frostbite is caused by humidity in the cold, not just the cold itself. Do you have enough ventilation to keep humidity down in the coop?

If it is frostbite, the affected area will eventually turn black and fall off. Someone had a picture of a rooster who had a smooth top to his comb because he'd lost all the points to frostbite.

Attachments

• C20943D5-875C-4F36-A641-DDF97BFB2B64.jpeg
    C20943D5-875C-4F36-A641-DDF97BFB2B64.jpeg
    628.7 KB · Views: 2

My coop is vented but frankly it’s been so wet here the past couple months nothing is dry. Just last week we had rains that have pushed the local dams to capacity

Back
Top Bottom