frostbite comb and yellow scabbing

chickenpaprikas7

Chirping
Aug 10, 2020
I have a chicken with a big floppy comb. During the cold in the last two weeks, I saw that one of the tips started to turn black and I assume it is frostbite. Now that section does have yellow crusted scab. What do I need to do at this point if anything? How will I know if this is something that requires more attention.

Also I've noticed that she has some black spots on her comb. I don't know if this is dirt of not but it is black not gray like when they get dusty.

Please advise. This is a new one for me.

Frostbite almost always does fine healing without any further attention to it, but you do need to prevent the chicken from further exposure to freezing temps as that tissue is now extremely vulnerable. If you wish to do something for the comb and hasten the new tissue development, spray it with Vetericyn a couple times a day. Avoid rubbing the wounded tissue, though.

Look at the black spots closely. If they are irregular, not round, they are pecking wounds. Combs are like the human chin or nose, they are the most common targets in a fight.

If the black dots are round and even, they could be a very light case of dry pox. You can treat them with Blu-kote to help them clear up more quickly.

I have a chicken with a big floppy comb. During the cold in the last two weeks, I saw that one of the tips started to turn black and I assume it is frostbite. Now that section does have yellow crusted scab. What do I need to do at this point if anything? How will I know if this is something that requires more attention.

Also I've noticed that she has some black spots on her comb. I don't know if this is dirt of not but it is black not gray like when they get dusty.

Please advise. This is a new one for me.
I have the exact problem with my rooster. How is your rooster? Its better now?

I have the exact problem with my rooster. How is your rooster? Its better now?
I am so sorry for the late reply; yes, it just fell off!!! Which is what I expected, but now I have this that I found in the egg brooder today. Do you think I have a chicken with a reproductive issue.

Attachments

• what is this egg abomination.jpg
    what is this egg abomination.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom