Frostbite HELP!

WildCHILD400

Songster
Jul 21, 2017
Hi I have a red Cochin Frizzle Bantam cockerel about 4 months. Some how he got frostbite not three toes. One toe is swollen, one is blue purple, and one the tip fell off. In the coop there is a heated perch and a heat lamp. I have three hens and the Bantam cockerel punkin. How did this happen? What can I do to prevent It? Anyway I brought all the chickenens in the garage in a dog crate with straw and big flat perches, the heat lamp and towels over the crate. I'm in Michigan and it's about 7 during the day and -5 at night. Punkin is inside the house with his sister who's the same age and punkin gets so depressed alone. It's about 68 In the house and I soak his feet in warm water at night for about 10 minutes with a tad of Epsom salt for any infections. After he dries completely put either Neosporin or aquaphor on his toes as a protective cover and fight and keep any infections out. He gets lots of food water and healthy veggie treats. He doesn't show any signs of pain but I can tell he feels it. WHAT can I do to help him please!

Frizzle chickens (any loose feathered bird like that) do badly in the cold. What do you use for your roosts?
You should treat him for shock by using electrolytes in you water or making sugar water, and give him a warm (not hot) soak in epsom salts. Most birds will huddle right down and look like a duck for twenty or so minutes.

Thx I gave him some made of 1 cup warm water, 1/8 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp sugar, and 1/8 tsp salt. He's active and walks which is good but his one foot he kind of throws in front of the other to walk. Any ideas and how often should I offer the water and what does it help with?

I posted some pics of punkin and the bottom of his feet are dry and black

Attachments

• 20180105_213433.jpg
    20180105_213433.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180105_213435.jpg
    20180105_213435.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180105_213445.jpg
    20180105_213445.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 12
Hi so punkin still inside and I switched from wood shavings to straw because it's softer. Yesterday he wasn't drinking or eating much so I gave him some electro light water and he is back to normal. I switched to soaking every other night to let his foot do it's own natural thing hear are some pictures of it now. He is spoiled inside with his sister getting attention treats and warmth.his toe is getting ready to fall off.
2643.jpeg
2642.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom