Frozen “bum” feathers

lmdengler

Songster
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
Good morning everyone
We are having some frigid weather here in the northeast. This morning I noticed a couple of my hens had some frozen poo on their bum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Should I leave it, try to soak it off, cut it???

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium member
Jul 23, 2018
Apalachin, NY
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning everyone
We are having some frigid weather here in the northeast. This morning I noticed a couple of my hens had some frozen poo on their bum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Should I leave it, try to soak it off, cut it???
If they can still poop, I'd leave it be.
Wait until the weather is warm and then clean them up.

Mrs. K

Free Ranging
10 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I vote, leave it unless it is bothering their natural functions. If they are active, bright eyed then waiting for a bit warmer weather to cure it is not a bad option.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium member
7 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'm a fan of trimming butt feathers, you don't need to get all the poop completely off, but a little trimming never hurts.
Ditto Dat!

Leaving it will likely just cause more build up.
I have a pair of round tipped nose hair scissors delegated for chicken trimming.

If it's just a few dingleberries, trimming should take care of it,
carefully cut the feathers to about 1/2" from the skin.
Easier if you have someone else hold the bird so you can use both hands.

If it's a mass of mess from juicy poops,
trimming may not help much and there may be other problems.

Ted Brown

Songster
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
We are having the same issue with one of Ameraucana mixed females and I was about to post the same question. I scanned the Forums to pick an appropriate one, picked "Managing Your Flock" and voila our problem with the answer. Thanks again @aart!

Top Bottom