Frozen “bum” feathers

lmdengler

Songster
6 Years
Jun 2, 2017
Upstate New York
Good morning everyone
We are having some frigid weather here in the northeast. This morning I noticed a couple of my hens had some frozen poo on their bum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Should I leave it, try to soak it off, cut it???

Good morning everyone
We are having some frigid weather here in the northeast. This morning I noticed a couple of my hens had some frozen poo on their bum. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? Should I leave it, try to soak it off, cut it???
If they can still poop, I'd leave it be.
Wait until the weather is warm and then clean them up.

I vote, leave it unless it is bothering their natural functions. If they are active, bright eyed then waiting for a bit warmer weather to cure it is not a bad option.

I'm a fan of trimming butt feathers, you don't need to get all the poop completely off, but a little trimming never hurts.
Ditto Dat!

Leaving it will likely just cause more build up.
I have a pair of round tipped nose hair scissors delegated for chicken trimming.

If it's just a few dingleberries, trimming should take care of it,
carefully cut the feathers to about 1/2" from the skin.
Easier if you have someone else hold the bird so you can use both hands.

If it's a mass of mess from juicy poops,
trimming may not help much and there may be other problems.

We are having the same issue with one of Ameraucana mixed females and I was about to post the same question. I scanned the Forums to pick an appropriate one, picked "Managing Your Flock" and voila our problem with the answer. Thanks again @aart!

Back
Top Bottom