Frozen Eyelid in Baby Chick!

Nightbird1001

Chirping
10 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Alaska
I got my chicks 3 days ago and one of them can't open or close one of her eyelids. It is a little swollen but is not noticeable until you really look hard. When I touch it, it is impossible to move. I have been trying to wet it but it does not seem to be helping.
I will try to get a picture soon.

The eye has clear discharge but the third eyelid works fine.

Attachments

• chick eye.jpg
    chick eye.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 12
I agree with the antibiotic ointment for its eye a few times a day. As long as the interior eyelid works, that should keep it moist and free from any crud buildup, and the ointment will help prevent any infection. Its eyelid may have a defect, one it may grow out of, but it's awfully hard to tell, even from a picture. If you have access to an avian vet, or a farm vet that will look at chickens, they should be able to tell whether it actually has a defect or not, and whether it will be a problem for it later on in life.

Had a chick once with both eyes glued shut with 'hatch gunk'.
It was hard to tell because chick was black,
but I finally figured out why it would.not.stop chirping.
Some warm water wiping took care of it, no problems going forward.

There are really no bird vets here in Alaska. We have one clinic that accepts birds but I have found that, apart from some technical goboly gook, I actually know more than they do about how to treat the diseases and injuries. They don't even test for diseases, just take the symptoms and guess.

Back
Top Bottom