frozen solid feet

tehbee

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 22, 2011
one of my small bantams feet got frozen solid because he didnt stay inside the coop his comb is fine hes been in my room for the past few hours and now his feet are thawed and moving fine on his own no blacks spots his feet are not swollen and they are red on the bottom.
is there any side effects he could have besides gangreen

and ps ive stuck the bottom of his foot with a pin and he does have feeling

If he did get frostbite then the dead flesh may fall off. I would watch him to make sure that he is walking properly and eating and drinking normally and keep an eye on the feet as discolouration may not show up immediatly. If at all possible I would keep him seperated from all other birds for at least a week to make sure not problems arise. I would also reccomend keeping him inside or in a warm place that is quite and away from anything that might frighten him. The object is to keep him stress free and make full use of the birds natural healing capabilities. Also any bird that has had frostbit on any part of its body will usually have severely decreased or no fertility afterwards. If you use him for breeding keep this in mind as it would explain any fertility problems that you might have with him this season.

any other tips like how to treat toes that would need to me removed and how to remove them and how to cut of parts of a frost bitten comb

I do not know anything about amputation. Removing a birds toe or part of a toe should be considered a major operation and you should consult a veterinarian if it becomes necessary. Whether a person is experienced or inexperienced at raising poultry doing such an operation at home would cause the bird a huge amount of pain and might kill it from the pain and shock of the operation w/o anesthetic, or loss of blood. Also as the injury is to its foot instead of say the wing there is the problem of the birds mobility in the future. removing part of a foot may effectively cripple the bird making difficult for it to move and causing it to become lethargic and sickly. Some birds do fine with foot injuries, I have a large breed hen who has a crippled foot that is no longer usable and we have kept her seperate from the rest of the flock and she is still doing fine hopping around on one foot 3 yrs later, but she needs a lot of care as she has to have a very clean pen because she cannot perch and gets dirty easily from sitting down a lot and has trouble moving around. On the other hand some birds dont and I have had birds with leg injuries that I tried to save but then unfortunately just languished and died or I had to kill them as it was obvious they were only suffering. The unfortunite reality is that if the birds feet are injured that badly the most human thing may be to kill it unless you are both able to find a vet who could try to properly amputate part of the foot under anesthetic and can afford such a procedure. I am not saying that killing the bird is the only option. At this point I would wait and see what happens. Keep it in a very clean area to try to prevent infection of the feet. If going to a vet is an option try to find one now in case it becomes nessecary. As for the comb if it is a single comb bird then from what I know the frotbitten areas will eventually turn black and fall off. Just keep it clean and if it becomes infected go to showbirdbird and ask about how to bud or remove the birds comb. I have never done this so it is better to ask there.
Good luck.

bump
and the birds feet a minorly swollen and he has blisters still no black spots the bird has no problem getting around and stands on his feet and can flex his toes with no pain

Back
Top Bottom