Frozen water this morning!

Quote:
There's lots of posts about major problems with submersible aquarium heaters. Take a minute to research them here on BYCF, please. Everything from cracked glass tubing when the water level drops to electrocuting your birds.

The cookie tin water heater (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107951) and the just-posted terracotta flower pot water heater (by BrewedInNh https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421904) are wonderful and safe alternatives.

Thanks for the info ,I will have a look before I use them

I contacted one of the companies that makes heated hoses. While "legally" they can not recommend using extension cords they told me that many of their customers use an extension cord. They suggested getting a heavy duty one (12 gauge or or better) and it should be fine. No restrictions on length of cord either. This is good since my outlets are a ways away from the hoses. I think I will start with the heated hoses and then work my way up to bucket deicers for the horses if needed. It is not too hard to just switch the waterers out for the chickens for now. Once the temperature starts staying below freezing I might have to figure out something else for the chickens.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

So, does it look anything like the aquarium heaters that seem to be troublesome, or is it a whole different animal? I've never seen the aquarium heaters, so I'm going to go check for threads on that.

I built some wooden boxes completely enclosed with a hinged top. I installed a porcelain light fixture with a 40 or 60 watt light on the back wall of box and lined box with aluminum foil or sheet metal to reflect the heat upwards. Then I drilled a pattern of holes, about 1 inch, in the top that would be covered by my waterer. They have worked great for years now with no freezing.

Quote:
There's lots of posts about major problems with submersible aquarium heaters. Take a minute to research them here on BYCF, please. Everything from cracked glass tubing when the water level drops to electrocuting your birds.

The cookie tin water heater (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=107951) and the just-posted terracotta flower pot water heater (by BrewedInNh https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=421904) are wonderful and safe alternatives.

Please read my posts on aquarium heaters.

I use three of them and have no problems. They work well and you can get them as low as 25 watts.

Please also note that with any heater and water they should be plugged into a GFI outlet. This goes for everything from a cookie tin heater to an aquarium heater.

Quote:

Please read my posts on aquarium heaters.

I use three of them and have no problems. They work well and you can get them as low as 25 watts.

Please also note that with any heater and water they should be plugged into a GFI outlet. This goes for everything from a cookie tin heater to an aquarium heater.

GFI? Is that the same outlets they use in kitchens and bathrooms ,they have "breaker" so that if it gets wet you can press the red button?

I wouldn't trust aquarium heaters. Especially since most of the heaters require being under water at all times. If they are exposed to the air they can shatter or stop working.

Why not just get a floating stock tank heater and let them drink out of a tub this winter? I have three stock tanks I use with ramps that lead all the way down to the bottom (important so if they topple in they can get out no matter the water level and can't get UNDER the ramp and stuck beneath it). I use floating heaters in two of them without an issue.

Pouring hot or warm water on the surface of any ice will melt it and drain off any waste or dirt. If the water gets murky I can siphon it out and refill it. If the weather becomes too cold I can take both heaters and put them in the same stock tank.

They cost $30-40, can be put in tubs, are reliable, and are safe.

If that doesn't work then look up the heater poultry waterers. They hold 3-5 gallons of water and the base is heated. They run $30-35 apiece and most feed stores should carry them.

Quote:
I have aquarium heaters that shut off when they are not immersed. They do not shatter or stop working. I have tested them myself.

"Product Description
Theo Heater. New aquarium heater functioning with the exclusive PTC technology means that this heater will not break or damage when run out of the tank. Theo aquarium heater has all the necessary feature for safe and precise temperature maintenance of the water in your tank. The exclusive technology and the high quality of components guarantee a long lasting product."

GFI's should trip automatically when there is an imbalance in the electric current from either leaking or damage. Pressing the red but is for resetting or testing.

My choice is the heated dog dish. Before I had electricity run to my shed/coop, we ran a hose out there much longer than was legal/recommended. We took two precautions. We used a super honk'en heavy cord, and we used one of those covered things for outside outlets when in use. Worked great for us.

We are expecting subzero days next week so we got the dog dishes out and plugged in. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom