Frustrated !!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wychickenwrangler, Apr 12, 2012.

1. wychickenwrangler

wychickenwrangler Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    I recently purchased a fan forced air incubator. We set it up & ran it for 3 days to make sure that the temp. was well regulated. Since we were waiting for some eggs that we ordered to arrive, we decided to give some of our home grown eggs a try. the first three were candeled at 10 days. we didn't see anything, but we left them for 4 more days. Still nothing. we broke them open and noticed that they began to grow, but somewhere along the way they quit. I've since tried it again with 2 more eggs, and after 11 days, there seems to be nothing going on inside. does anyone have any suggestions???????

2. DirtCreature

DirtCreature Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Olympia, Washington
    what kind of incubator are you using?

what is your humidity at while incubating?

are you hand turning? or have a auto turner?

are they shipped eggs?

are you sure they are fertile?

3. wychickenwrangler

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    It is a Little Giant, with the fan for circulation, we installed an automatic egg turner, we have been running the humidity between 55 & 60%. They are eggs from my own chicken house, and I'm fairly certain that they are fertile, due to the fact that my roosters are on the hens constantly. I may be wrong though.

4. phoenix912

phoenix912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    What temp do you have the incubator set at? If you candle the eggs at day seven you should see veins developing. Scence they are your eggs you can crack some open. If they are fertile there will be a white spot on the yolk.

5. wychickenwrangler

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    I have the temp. set at 99.5 degrees.

6. phoenix912

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Take some eggs that you have collected. Crack them open in a dish. Look at the yolks there should be a small white circle. If you look up bullseye in the search field you can find pics of what a fertile egg looks like. Every thing else sounds good.

7. wychickenwrangler

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    Hey thanks !!! I did that & now I know what I'm looking for. Thanks for the information !!!!!!!!!

8. phoenix912

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Did you ever figure out what was going wrong with your eggs?

9. soffeann1997

soffeann1997 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Do you have a roo in with your hens?

10. wychickenwrangler

May 10, 2011
    Northeast Wyoming
    I haven't yet figured out what's going on. I did crack some of the eggs open though like you suggested, and at least found out that they are indeed fertile !!!!!!! Since I'm far from an expert on candeling eggs, I've decided to just leave them in the bator for a few more days & then check them to see if there is any difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by