Frustration with stupid purchase and a question

BigDaddy'sGurl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
Wilkesboro NC
I bought 3 black rosecomb bantam hens a while ago. By the time I got them home, one was sneezing. I put the two healthy girls in quarantine and isolated the individual sick girl. Within days her eyes swelled closed, she had a runny nose, and a general "sick" smell. Wouldn't eat, had to force her to drink, etc. Pus in eyes as well. I treated her for 2 weeks with vetrx, later sulmet, and still later, injectable penicillin. After 5 days of injections, no change for the better. So, I killed her. No vet in my area will treat a chicken, and while I do have a few "pets", I just can't afford to spend a ton of money on a cheap bird that may never recover.

So...fast forward 2 full weeks after culling the sick girl. The two she came with were healthy, had begun laying, all was well. And then two days ago one of the other two started sneezing. Nose running, and tonight I saw that her eye was swollen shut. I didn't bother treating her: just killed her. I didn't want to, these birds came from a bad situation (overmated and basically treated as production birds in wire cages) and she had just started laying and her feathers were coming back in, but I've had enough of possible contamination to my existing flock.

Here's a question though: should I go ahead and destroy the remaining bird from this purchase? I looked her over well this evening and she is completely asymptomatic. What would you do?

Unfortunately she is probably a carrier if she came with the others. It sounds like Corzya with the bad smell. I don't think I would take the chance, Sorry.
sad.png

Somehow I hadn't even thought of Coryza...but wouldn't treating with sulmet have helped? After just reading about the sickness, I know sulmet should have helped, but the hens' immune systems are already compromised with the lack of feathers from overmating they were recovering from and the lice/mites I treated them for as they had a bunch...the sulmet was probably too little too late.

That mess is very hard to treat, however a good dose of LA 200 both in the water and injected seems to work very well maybe this will help you.

Back
Top Bottom