The big ducks are beginning their 10-16 week molt and are starting to get ther adult feathers. I’m finding little feathers all over the place, although Pip has yet to start.

I took their pool out to the yard today and filled it up. When they went around the corner and saw it they stopped in their tracks. Silly things, I had to splash my hand in the water to lure them over.

Sad note here. I went out to let the big ducks out yesterday and found two dead ducklings. The third was under the heat plate peeping a lot. It was like they just keeled over. I know the bigs couldn’t get over the barrier, I put up that second NIC grid panel, and the babies were on their own side. The third died at some point later in the day. Maybe shipping stress? There are no tunnels into the coop, no holes in the wood, they had no physical injuries that I could see. It was within the time frame for credit at the hatchery but I ordered some white layer ducklings from elsewhere that ship next week.

Oh no, so sorry about the ducklings IM :hit I would guess it was the shipping stress also.

Keeping fingers crossed that the white layers will reach you ok and they will be strong, thriving ducklings :fl

Oh no, so sorry about the ducklings IM :hit I would guess it was the shipping stress also.

Keeping fingers crossed that the white layers will reach you ok and they will be strong, thriving ducklings :fl
Thanks NFC. At least it was before I could get attached and hoping for the best with the next batch.
That being said, I’m pretty sure the bigs can’t get their bills through the NIC grids but I’m looking for some scrap HWC to zip tie on them just in case.

Garden pics today. We’re taking a big risk and haven’t enclosed the veg garden yet so no pics of that because the ducks follow me everywhere. I’d have to chase them out which is counter productive.
EA3AC51F-4573-413F-8E25-29B78C6CC970.jpeg
D8A500B6-4FC3-466C-9046-1F9A92A9CDD4.jpeg
09803B3F-A3A6-46CB-B165-9F43E262856C.jpeg
0B6A25A5-AE8D-4A93-B7F8-1317FC9DDAB3.jpeg
C9D27B9F-7979-4494-A938-E9CBB1C67A39.jpeg
68256D54-BEF7-4D10-BA94-CF9ADB55BC50.jpeg
38A7AA2B-A355-4147-9B98-99F0B2B105A7.jpeg
0500BAD3-F19A-44B7-8C7D-AEF38D95C9E1.jpeg
03E9417A-40F5-430A-8B86-666F88D141D7.jpeg
9A414DA0-4C34-4E6E-A41E-E29F4FB0D23F.jpeg

The big ducks are beginning their 10-16 week molt and are starting to get ther adult feathers. I’m finding little feathers all over the place, although Pip has yet to start.

I took their pool out to the yard today and filled it up. When they went around the corner and saw it they stopped in their tracks. Silly things, I had to splash my hand in the water to lure them over.

Sad note here. I went out to let the big ducks out yesterday and found two dead ducklings. The third was under the heat plate peeping a lot. It was like they just keeled over. I know the bigs couldn’t get over the barrier, I put up that second NIC grid panel, and the babies were on their own side. The third died at some point later in the day. Maybe shipping stress? There are no tunnels into the coop, no holes in the wood, they had no physical injuries that I could see. It was within the time frame for credit at the hatchery but I ordered some white layer ducklings from elsewhere that ship next week.

Oh no, I'm so sorry IM 🤗🤗 we all know it happens, but it still stinks. Fingers crossed for your white layers.

Garden pics today. We’re taking a big risk and haven’t enclosed the veg garden yet so no pics of that because the ducks follow me everywhere. I’d have to chase them out which is counter productive. View attachment 2507557View attachment 2507558View attachment 2507559View attachment 2507560View attachment 2507561View attachment 2507562View attachment 2507563View attachment 2507564View attachment 2507565View attachment 2507566

Things are looking so nice and green (I miss the color green)! Love the gnomes :D

I'm so sorry to hear this IM! :hugs They are so fragile at this stage!

Garden pics today. We’re taking a big risk and haven’t enclosed the veg garden yet so no pics of that because the ducks follow me everywhere. I’d have to chase them out which is counter productive. View attachment 2507557View attachment 2507558View attachment 2507559View attachment 2507560View attachment 2507561View attachment 2507562View attachment 2507563View attachment 2507564View attachment 2507565View attachment 2507566
I love your garden! I'm ready for spring, so everything will start growing, except for the lawn, I'm not ready to start mowing yet.

This has been a busy day. I fell asleep at around 1830 last night with a terrible stomach and back ache, then was up at 0230 this morning sick to my stomach. Called off work and started feeling sort of better later so helped hubs work on the garage. We added quite a bit to our bulk trash pile and hubs hopes to get more done next weekend. Then we moved the golf cart off the patio and into the garage. By next weekend I hope to have the shed cleaned out and ready to organize. Tomorrow I’m working on getting all the gardening stuff in the garage organized and ready to move out of there and into the shed. It’s currently raining lightly but the ducks got some feeder fish so they’re in the pool hunting. We’re going to need to build them a step to get out of the pool I think. Got my order confirmation for the ducklings. Nice that I don’t have to create an account to get a tracking number with this hatchery. The boys and daughter are kind of excited to have some traditional looking ducks. We talked about names, can’t reuse the three we picked out for the ducklings that died. The newbies will be Luna, Pearl and Snow per a three way vote with the boys.

This has been a busy day. I fell asleep at around 1830 last night with a terrible stomach and back ache, then was up at 0230 this morning sick to my stomach. Called off work and started feeling sort of better later so helped hubs work on the garage. We added quite a bit to our bulk trash pile and hubs hopes to get more done next weekend. Then we moved the golf cart off the patio and into the garage. By next weekend I hope to have the shed cleaned out and ready to organize. Tomorrow I’m working on getting all the gardening stuff in the garage organized and ready to move out of there and into the shed. It’s currently raining lightly but the ducks got some feeder fish so they’re in the pool hunting. We’re going to need to build them a step to get out of the pool I think. Got my order confirmation for the ducklings. Nice that I don’t have to create an account to get a tracking number with this hatchery. The boys and daughter are kind of excited to have some traditional looking ducks. We talked about names, can’t reuse the three we picked out for the ducklings that died. The newbies will be Luna, Pearl and Snow per a three way vote with the boys.

Glad you're feeling a little better IM, being sick is no fun at all :hugs

I like the new duckling names!

Back
Top Bottom